Sunday, April 12, 2015

ain't nobody else to impress

I made progress on multiple fronts today, so I'll take it. I woke up early and unpacked/arranged stuff/showered/etc for a couple of hours before leaving my mess behind and meeting Kathia for a writing date + brunch. The writing date portion was excellent; I wrote four pages, which keeps me on track toward writing as many days as possible (and I have grand plans for tomorrow morning as well). We wrote in a cafe I hadn't been to before (Nook, approximately ten blocks from my place), and I enjoyed everything about it - but it's easier to enjoy things when I feel like I'm starting to feel my way into the story.

After we were done writing, we proceeded to brunch at Belcampo. Belcampo is a butcher shop, but they also have thirty or so seats for a restaurant, and the food was awesome. Granted, it was pretty basic for me; I got eggs over easy with bacon and home fries, but all of those things were really tasty. Kathia got the ricotta pancakes, which looked like pancakes I might have actually ordered and enjoyed back in the day. And we caught up on life, which has been eventful for both of us; hopefully I'll see her again next week, since after that we're destined to never see each other again due to our travel schedules (okay, we'll see each other in June, but that's a long time from now).

Post-Kathia, I came home, checked work email for the first time in over a week to see if there was anything I needed to know for tomorrow (answer: no), and then unpacked some more while waiting for the effects of my brunch champagne to disappear. Eventually, I grabbed coffee to reenergize, then called my parents; it appears that spring has finally sprung in Iowa, which generally makes them more enthused about life (as it would for me, since I can no longer handle winter at all).

Family phone time eventually gave way to SF family time; I had family dinner with Chandlord, Claude, Adit, and Priyanka at Enjoy Veg, which was lowkey and delightful. Claude is perhaps slowly starting to piece together that most of our family interactions involve taking offense at perceived slights and insults (which is why it's family time, since most families are like that), and tonight I was the one who had delivered the perceived slight/insult (over invitations to see Book of Mormon in a couple of weeks, since I had only two extra tickets (originally belonging to Terry) and so couldn't invite everyone - but the order in which I extended invitations became a topic of much consternation). I'm so lucky to have such wonderfully understanding friends!

And now, after a lovely day, I must sleep and attempt to get enthused about going to the office tomorrow (spoiler: I'm not enthused). Goodnight!

No comments: