Friday, April 03, 2015

how's it gonna be when you don't know me

I'm in Tahoe, and I successfully stayed up until 10:30pm even though I really wanted to go to bed at 7pm like a crazy person. This morning was, as predicted, a mad scramble to get out the door - I woke up at 6:15, worked on day job stuff until 7:45, showered, packed, ran out the door at 8:30, and grabbed breakfast at Caffe Union (yes, I drove there - early enough that I didn't have to pay for the meter, and yes, I demanded food as soon as I walked in because I didn't have time for dallying - luckily, Tony tolerates me quite nicely). Then I found the UPS store on Fillmore and returned the cable modem from the old apartment so that Comcast won't fine Terry a million dollars.

That errand went better than expected, so I grabbed a couple of snacks for the road, went home, and had time to finish drying my hair before Anne, Barbara, and Tina showed up in my lobby so that we could carpool to Grace's house in the north bay. I drove us across the bridge and left my car at Grace's; we took her minivan to Tahoe, since it's more roomy (albeit less sporty, if a rav4 can be considered sporty). We made three stops, which was a little ridic, but we had to pick up sourdough for the person flying in from Colorado, and we had to get gas, and we stopped at Starbucks in Placerville to caffeinate and to switch drivers since Grace wasn't comfortable driving in the mountains. I immediately volunteered, and while I don't think I'm a super aggressive driver, I was apparently aggressive enough that Grace asked whether I often drive minivans, since I seemed way more comfortable than she was with it. Heh.

Anyway, we got to Tahoe around two, and the other Barbara and Christie (who had both flown into Reno) showed up shortly thereafter. We hung out most of the afternoon; the houses are side by side (Barbara #1 owns a share of one of them, and we're renting the other), and they're creepily identical. But they're also v. luxe, and they're right on the lake, and we each have our own bed/bath, which is a huge upgrade from the house we rented in Montauk last year.

We eventually ventured to Safeway (conveniently within walking distance), stocked up on snacks, came home, and ordered pizza (with a decent gluten free option for me). And then we talked about a wide variety of topics over wine and snacks, even though most of us were falling asleep. And then, in an effort to keep myself from falling asleep after I adjourned to my room, I ordered new silverware from Crate and Barrel + a couple of pans from Sur la Table, since both sites were having good sales on things I've been meaning to replace forever.

Now, though, I shall sleep - I'm really excited to get deep into Rafe and Octavia's story this week, and even though I'm still scared that I don't know what I'm doing with them, I'm feeling so much optimism that I'll be able to figure it out. And if I don't, at least I'll learn a lot from the people I'm here with (or laugh a lot and drink at altitude, which is also winning). Goodnight!

No comments: