Saturday, April 11, 2015

i find it hard to tell you, i find it hard to take

I have returned to the city of sin, to an apartment full of boxes, and I need to spend the weekend getting my apartment into some semblance of order before I go crazy in it. I had thought I was going to have more time at home this afternoon than I did; we left Tahoe around 9:30, so I should have been back in the city by 1ish (especially since Grace let me drive all the way). But the Richmond bridge was closed all day due to an accident/fire involving a UPS tractor-trailer, which meant a lot of the traffic in the north bay (where we had to go to drop of Grace and pick up my car) was diverted onto the same two-lane highway that we wanted to take....so that added at least an hour to the trip. Grr.

Still, that gave me and Grace plenty of time to catch up, since it was just the two of us on the way back. I had a great retreat, but it's good to be home (despite the boxes) - I'm ready to make progress on all fronts, not just the writing front, and hopefully I can accomplish a lot in the next few weeks before my trip to Bora Bora (which it's ridiculous that I'm even going on, but c'est la vie).

Anyway, I got home a little after two, took care of a couple of tings, and then had a very late lunch at Spinnerie (the tri tip was great and the beet salad made me glad that I'm an adult who likes beets). Then I took a nap and unpacked for an hour before being lured over to Chandlord's to drink wine on her patio. That was super lovely; we had time to catch up on her own, and then Claudia arrived, so I got two friends for the price of one. At some point Minnie showed up as well, whom I hadn't seen in ages, and so the four of us caught up for a bit while finishing the bottle of wine.

But my fun plans shifted at that point, and I ended up going down to the Embarcadero to have wine (and chili, oddly) at Hi Dive. My plans for the day were originally supposed to include lunch with Chandlord, Dave, and Dave's friend Bart, who runs the charity whose gala I went to a few weeks ago - my plan was to introduce Chandlord and Bart, since Chandlord is a charitable sort. I obviously missed lunch due to the Richmond bridge debacle, but they all had lunch without me...and so since I'd already caught up with Chandlord at one happy hour, it only seemed fair to catch up with Dave and Bart (and a couple of other people) at a second happy hour. This was supremely low key, but quite lovely next to the water, and it was nice to get out of the house (and out of crazy writer land) for a few hours before embarking on my frenetic weekend of unpacking.

Now, though, I must sleep if I'm to be productive tomorrow...and I'm really looking forward to sleeping at sea level, since the altitude was not kind to me. Goodnight!

No comments: