Thursday, April 23, 2015

world serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed

I must needs keep this brief, since I have to get up and train with Alyssa tomorrow before having a series of unfortunate events (aka meetings)....but there's no time like the present to tell you that a resigned yesterday. This is the second time I've done so, and I'm becoming exceedingly efficient at it.

In truth, it's been in the works for longer than that, but it took some time to convince my boss that I was serious (although he's been v. good about it). I told my team yesterday, and now it's going to move fast - I didn't want to sit around like a lame duck, so my last day is going to be May 11. That gives me a little more than two weeks to transition stuff and generally enjoy a few more days of delicious free food before commencing the writing slog again.

And that's the plan...I'm excited to write full-time again, and it really does feel like it's a job rather than something I kind of do on the side. But I've had a lot of emotions this week, and I'll continue to have a lot of emotions...I love a lot of the people I work with, and I like my job more than I like most jobs, so leaving is hard. But I'm excited, so it's all kind of bittersweet.

Today was full of bittersweetness; I got to work early, did some day job stuff rather than writing stuff, then slacked off to have breakfast before commencing meetings. The meetings went straight from nine to one, but then I had lunch with several people at the Indian place on campus. After that, I had more meetings, more conversations, etc., before going to the bowling alley with Dave, Tomas, Eugene, and Jen, where we made a half-assed attempt at bowling while drinking cider/beer and gossiping about work.

Post-bowling, Dave and I went to In-n-Out with this guy he knows who's visiting from the Seattle office, so the protein-style double-double went a long way toward curing my Indian-food-induced protein deficiency. Then Dave conned me into giving him a ride home (less valuable to me than usual since the carpool lane wasn't necessary, but c'est la vie), and then I came home and worked for the last ninety minutes or so.

Happily, my life of having two jobs is going to come to an end soon. But I'll miss a lot....but I'll say no more tonight. Prepare for some wildly oscillating emotions over the next two weeks, but I'm confident in my decision and excited for what's next...so that's all good. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Censored said...

Feeling pretty psyched? ... Apparently even our R.E.M. song choices this week were reflective of our inverse luck, since this morning I was singing along to "Everybody Hurts." But no, really, I feel fine. ;)