Sunday, May 31, 2015

i'm down on my knees, i want to take you there

Hello. I wish that my blog could be as interesting every day as it was when I was in Bora Bora or Easter Island, or when I was stuck in Tahiti and whining about it like I'd been stranded in a slum instead of a tropical paradise (although to be fair, sharing a sink is really pretty low-class...but I digress). But since I have returned to San Francisco and become even more of a hermit than usual, you're going to have to make do.

Today, however, was more interesting than it could have been, since I a) talked to people and b) left the house. I know, I'm a paragon of social virtue. I woke up around seven and read in bed for awhile; I continue to read "Sickness, Suffering, and the Sword", but it's pretty slow going (I think I've only gotten through 100 pages so far, and it feels like I've been reading for hours). It turns out this book is only mildly interesting, and so far consists more of how regiments and battalions were formed and led, rather than any of the sickness/suffering/swords I was promised, but I have high hopes that I'll get to some gore at some point.

But I took a break from my studies to make breakfast and have a long video chat with Terry (remember her? she used to be my roommate). We hadn't really caught up since she left for NYC, since I was in varying states of chaos the last two months, and so catching up over video was better than nothing. My key takeaway was that there are cockroaches in New York and the place is an abomination, but she shared other things that were far more positive, so ymmv.

After talking to Terry, I went back to my book, but I was very happily lured away by Katrina, who texted me to say that she was at Contraband with Cathy and Trang and that I should come and join them. She perhaps didn't expect me to show up since I'm normally a hermit on weekends, but since I'm adjusting to not having outside-the-house commitments (and therefore, no enforced social commitments for forty hours a week), I said I would be there immediately, and I showed up before she could get away. But she was v. gracious about it, as were Cathy and Trang; I'd met Trang once before at a party Chandlord had dragged me to, which I stayed at for fifteen minutes before realizing I'd rather be anywhere else, but Trang seemed to forgive the fact that I was a stone cold bitch that night.

sssanyway, we spent a lovely interlude outside, debating whether Katrina is in fact a contributing member of society or whether her entire academic (and therefore professional) life is a sham. I'd go for sham, but I think I'll keep her around. We were briefly interrupted by some v. strange guy who offered to let me hold his helmet and keys while he used my phone to call his wife, whom he'd somehow gotten separated from (theory: drugs can be confusing). Since my phone was on the table, it was hard to say it didn't exist, so I let him use it, much to the shock and discomfort of all of us. It was fine at first, but then I texted the wife to say where he was, and he seemed to want to hang around until she called back, which wasn't happening. Luckily, he left (although, weirdly, he didn't stay in the vicinity - he rode away on his motorcycle), and so when his wife (whom we name Sheila) eventually called back, sounding equally confused (read: drugged), we had no information for her.

Happily, this was all v. entertaining, my phone wasn't stolen, and I have not yet fallen victim to any catfishing scams, so it could have gone worse. After we left Contraband, Katrina gave me and Trang a master class in how to shop at Trader Joe's, which was just as helpful and utterly ridiculous as you might have guessed. I forgot there's one so close to me (it replaced the rather depressing Cala Foods several years ago, but that was after I moved out of the neighborhood), and it was fun to wander the aisles even though I didn't take Katrina's suggestions immediately. Then we wandered back toward my place, and she showed me a couple of cafes I want to write at, plus a liquor store that sells a great selection of mini bottles, so pretty much all my human needs can be met by her tour. Five stars!

After we parted ways, I came home, ate some leftover Thai food, took a nap (I'm still sick, so indulging any desire to sleep), read a bit, suddenly realized I needed to apply for health insurance immediately, and then applied for health insurance. That took any remaining productivity out of me, so I turned off the lights and watched 'Captain America'. And now, sadly, I must sleep again if I have any hope of kicking this cold - goodnight!

No comments: