Monday, June 29, 2015

lost control when i panicked at the acid test

I did no writing today, but I have no regrets. I meant to get up early and go to the cafe before seeing Alyssa, but I slept abysmally for reasons that are totally unknown to me - I woke up at 5:30 feeling totally unrested, with a kink in my neck that got worse as the day went on. So, that was annoying, and it kept me in bed - I ended up sleeping from 6:30 to 8:30 (this time much more deeply), and then I messed around the apartment and drank tea and ate eggs until it was time to go to Palo Alto.

Once I got there, Alyssa pursued her nefarious kettlebell agenda, but the workout was good. And, happily, I don't have dengue fever, unlike one of the trainers there whom I hadn't seen around in two weeks (because, as it turns out, he went to the emergency room seven times because he had dengue). So really, when one considers that one could have gotten dengue or chikungunya in the South Pacific and spent the last month miserable, it makes the fact that I haven't finished a book yet (which, let's be honest, was *never going to happen anyway*) totally bearable.

After my workout, I showered, cleaned up my face, and went to my old place of employment for lunch with Alaska Matt. Due to our varied and conflicting schedules, it's unlikely that we'll see each other again in person for awhile, but it was lovely to catch up with him over salads in the sun, and I have high hopes that we'll have lunch over videoconference together occasionally going forward. He was his usual entertaining self, and it reminded me that I need to do a better job of staying in touch with those people whom I love but don't see very often.

But let's be honest again, I suck at that. But maybe I shall make an effort to get better. sssanyway, after parting ways with Matthew, I swung by my old building on a stealth mission to pick up Eugene (I told him to bring me some ibuprofen for my neck and tell no one where he was going, which he duly obliged, even if he did make an uncalled-for joke about how stealing ibuprofen from work was now my only form of health care). We went to the coffee place on campus for a delightful bit of catching up, and I had a triple-shot iced latte solely because it was free, so we'll see how I sleep tonight.

Coffee was supposed to include Tomas and Dave, but Tomas bailed (and sent me a text saying he hated me, which was super sweet), and Dave arrived shortly before Eugene needed to leave. So I basically had the equivalent of two coffee sessions; Eugene took off, and Dave and I caught up too-briefly (but v. nicely) on whatever has happened in our respective lives since the last time we saw each other (pre-Texas). I ended up dropping him off at our old building, and I escaped campus by 3:30 without seeing anyone else, which enabled me to beat some of the traffic and make it home in an hour. Score.

Once I got here, I walked down to the Marina and bought some new running shoes. Then I made an amateur mistake and tried to go to Mezes, forgetting that it's closed on Mondays. So I ended up at Aix, where I had a steak that did a lot of wonderful things for me (I don't think I've had beef since the brisket at the family reunion, and I'm genetically wired to feast far more often on the flesh of my enemies, and by 'my enemies' I mean 'beef'). I also had two glasses of wine, which may have done even more wonderful things for me. And I spent some quality time with my new planner notebook - I haven't set my goals for July yet, but I wrote out everything I want to do this month, and I'm excited to get cracking.

And now, after a delightful uber ride home with a strange and interesting driver whose RV basically blew up recently, and almost falling asleep watching the sunset, and taking my time getting ready for bed, it's time to sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: