Tuesday, July 21, 2015

bleed me dry each and every time

This morning was a little more lowkey than I intended...last night I went to bed with the intention of being in it to win it, but I didn't sleep very well (blame it on the alcohol + too much food + restless dreams), and so I didn't get up as early as planned. However, I had a v. leisurely, v. delicious breakfast at Cafe Luxembourg, which got me going enough that I was able to do a bit of writing before showering, packing, messing around online, etc. Then I grabbed a quick salad before vacating Terry's apartment and taking a cab to my conference hotel to check in and drop off my luggage.

After that, things quickly sped up - I dashed out of the hotel and onto the subway so that I could meet a blast from the past for drinks at the Tippler (bar in the basement of Chelsea Market). Only the most old-timery old timers among you will remember Dan Bentley, who has rarely made an appearance on zee blog since he's mostly lived in NYC for many years, but we were friends in college oh so many years ago. He's currently also funemployed (having recently left our mutual employer), and so we caught up on life over a couple of alcoholic slushies ('lushies', as they were appropriately named). It was good to see him, and to hear about his adventures as a poker player during his hiatus between regular jobs, and to know that his father is still alive and kicking despite the man's ungodly addiction to Krispy Kreme donuts.

sssanyway, we eventually had to part ways so that I could go to the first romance writer activity on my calendar this week - my friend Maya was moderating a panel about romance novels, and my friend Sarah was on the panel, so I felt a strong desire to attend. I dragged Terry with me, and it was entertaining/interesting (although some of the entertainment was provided by the fact that it was held, oddly, in a coworking space in SoHo, and so as we were discussing romance and feminism, some random dude walked through and stole some of the wine. lol.). It was also a good warm-up to the conference, since I saw several people whom I like there and am now eager to see them more + see more people tomorrow.

However, I wasn't thoroughly eager to keep seeing people tonight, so Terry and I ducked out, parted ways on the subway, and I came back to Times Square and had dinner at the bar of the restaurant across the street. This was supposed to be a gloriously solo endeavor, but the woman sitting next to me was v. chatty (in a nice way - and not about romance, since she was just a random traveler rather than part of the conference). So I talked to her while eating a cheeseburger, which will probably catapult me back into last night's too much wine / too much food / too overwhelming dreams situation.

But hopefully that's not the case - I'm really looking forward to the conference (despite not looking forward to spending twelve hours hanging out with people tomorrow), and I want to make the most of it. So I'm going to go to bed and hope for the best - goodnight!

No comments: