Monday, July 20, 2015

cause all of my kindness is taken for weakness

My liver continues to take New York by storm. My writing...not so much. Today was lowkey and wonderful, though. I woke up around 6:30, promptly decided that was stupid, and went back to bed until nine. Then I did some business-type stuff, showered, grabbed a coffee and some yogurt to prevent my untimely demise, and did some more work until it was time to abandon Terry's apartment/neighborhood and go to Hell's Kitchen (appropriately named in this heat) for lunch with a romance writer friend.

Some of you may remember her - I call her Vivi, but her name is also Sarah, and she attended the wine bus birthday celebration that Terry and I had when we turned thirty. Vivi/Sarah and I hadn't seen each other since the romance conference last year in San Antonio, and we had a ton to catch up on. This was duly accomplished over margaritas (only one each! I feel so puritanical!) and food at Limon Jungle; the food was decent enough, but the company was great, and it was excellent to reunite and get caught up on everything before the conference begins and we're both slammed with other activities.

After lunch, I came back to Terry's, cooled off for a few moments, and then went out in search of more hipsterish iced coffee than I could get at Starbucks, since my hipster soul was becoming parched. I succeeded at Irving Farm, where they served my iced coffee in a widemouth mason jar, which made me feel right at home despite the fact that it's so absurdly fucking hot outside. So I did some more work there for a couple of hours, which made me feel slightly better about life.

Of course, I wasn't really intending to work all that diligently on this trip, so when I found out Terry was home from work, I abandoned my writing and came back to her apartment, where we had a glass of wine and talked about corporate ridiculousness like the good old days. We then had an early dinner (sushi, with some really excellent/interesting rolls), and then we met Vivi/Sarah and her friend Leigh for drinks at The Smith. Leigh also works in television, so it was good for her and Terry to meet, and the four of us had a delightful, albeit slightly 'Sex and the City'-ish, conversation.

But all good things must end, so Terry and I came back to her apartment, watched a couple of episodes of "Parks and Rec" (shut up, not addicted), and then called it a night. And now I must sleep - I intend to write tomorrow, and maybe go to the gym, and maybe buy a handbag, and definitely check into my hotel, and absolutely have drinks with a blast from the past (suspense!) before going to a romance writer event. Goodnight!

No comments: