Monday, July 27, 2015

ocean floor kisses

I am in Boston, but thanks to the schedules / general sedateness of my friends, I had the kind of low-key day I needed to start recovering from my #beastcoast adventures. Since we got back to Boston after one a.m. last night, we all slept in this morning, but I woke up at ten and spent a couple of hours drinking coffee / showering / making lists / considering my business / talking to Bill.

Eventually, Ritu woke up as well, and the three of us had a late lunch at Regal Beagle. Ritu picked the place because I claimed to want a salad, but when we got there, I ordered a burger because apparently my brain no longer recognizes the need for salad. Oops. Bill had to leave early to get back to work, but Ritu and I took our time finishing up, and then we stopped at Starbucks to get my requisite Boston mug before returning to zee apartment.

The rest of my afternoon was super lowkey; Ritu needed to sleep since she has an overnight shift at the hospital tonight, and I planned to use that time to get some writing done. Instead, I looked at my notebook and promptly took a nap. Then, I called my parents - we missed our usual Sunday call since I was with people all day yesterday, and I thought it was a good idea to catch up. Of course, they live in Iowa, where strange things happen, so my mom and I were disconnected when her power went out, but luckily she has a cellphone, so we were able to finish our conversation. Then I called my dad, and took another mininap in the fifteen minutes it took him to call me back.

As you can tell from the napping, I was not in it to win it today. However, I eventually rallied and did some work in the early evening before having dinner with Bill at Pomodoro. They served up a v. delicious risotto with lots of sea creatures (and chicken, and sausage, in case the sea creatures weren't enough), and I limited myself to one glass of wine, so I am almost starting to feel like a real human girl instead of a vat of wine and sadness.

After dinner, Bill dropped me off at the apartment and went to play basketball, and I spent a couple of hours being legitimately productive - sending follow-up emails, making more lists, etc. I think I've done the major/urgent stuff post-conference, and now I can spend the next couple of days working on the new outline for Rafe and Octavia (fun, I know). But at the moment, I really just want to go to bed so that I can write in the morning before socializing with Ritu some more. Goodnight!

No comments: