Saturday, July 11, 2015

some nights i stay up cashing in my bad luck

Today was pretty mellow, but it went somewhat according to plan...no writing, but enough socializing to keep my head clear so I can hopefully get some writing done tomorrow. I woke up in time to eat some breakfast, drive to Palo Alto, and work out at Equinox - I forgot that Saturday mornings in Palo Alto mean a lot of suburban moms/dads attempting to get a workout in, and the gym was packed compared to hangover-time in San Francisco. But I got my workout in, showered, and made it to brunch with Heather (aka dear respected madam) right on time, so I felt v. smug about that.

We met up at Joanie's, which, as you know, I adore; happily, they still have almost all the same staff as they had years ago when I used to go there all the time, and they always act so happy to see me (and I'm, obvi, v. happy to see them). Heather and I hadn't seen each other since right before I left work / went to Bora Bora, so we had a ton to catch up on. We spent a couple of hours at Joanie's, and then we went across the street to Printers' Cafe, where I had an iced coffee on top of the endlessly-replenished coffee I had at Joanie's (on top of the tea I drank on the way to the gym), which made me all twitchy and crazy on the drive home. But the caffeine rush was worth it to have some quality time with Heather - she's one of my faves, and I don't see her nearly often enough.

All good things must come to an end, though, so I drove home and took a nap (which was more of an attempt to rest my eyeballs than anything else, since my caffeinated state was too extreme to allow for real sleep). Then I messed around at home for a few minutes before deciding to actually follow through on the plan I'd made with Hugo and Vidya (a plan that I had thought I would almost certainly bail on) - I went to the Mission (I know, so unusual for me), in a very sketchy Lyft situation (the driver was fielding calls from his boss, which seems weird, about an accident he'd had earlier in the day, which didn't instill confidence).

Once I arrived safely, I had drinks at Cease and Desist, where Hugo and Ken and some other people whom I've befriended at a nearby cafe were guest bartending (with all tips going to charity). I hadn't intended to drink tonight, since I feel like I still need to detox from my weird tattoo-whisky night on Thursday, but I ended up having a glass of wine and one of Ken's daiquiris (but it was for a good cause, so it doesn't count, right?). And I should really write it off on my taxes, since I may have convinced Ken's wife and her friend to buy my latest book, so I guess this should count as marketing. But it was fun to hang out with all of them, even if going to a bar from six to eight meant that I came home slightly tipsy while the sun was still out, which is ridiculous.

But I got home without drama, and I read a book for the last hour or so (a young adult fantasy to help me understand the market better for my not-gargoyle book...but the book I'm reading pretty much sucks despite being a bestseller, so I'm a little disappointed). And now I'm going to go to bed so I can pursue social + writing plans tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: