Monday, July 27, 2015

the word is on the street that the fire in your heart is out

It's 2:30am on the east coast, and I'm beyond exhausted...but I've successfully arrived in Boston, where I intend to enjoy my friends and work for a couple of days before heading back to SF on Wednesday. Today was another all-out death march of fun, but it started with dragging myself out of bed and packing and showering when all I wanted to do was lie there and dream of salads (I've reached the point in the trip, probably after the foie gras at Momofuku, when I really want to each something bland and lettuce-y).

However, I made it out of the hotel by eleven, and I met up with Terry for brunch so that I could say goodbye to her. We went to Blue Dog, which Terry picked solely because the huevos rancheros were mentioned in the Yelp reviews and she knows what it takes to help me recover. As it turns out, the huevos were delish - crispy tortillas underneath, with black beans and three eggs (and a side of bacon and a massive cup of coffee to try to complete the cure). However, while Terry's company was delightful and it was great to see her one last time, she also knew me well enough to see that I was fading by the end. So we went back to her place, where she insisted that I take a twenty-minute nap, which may have been the only thing that saved me today.

But naps cannot last forever, so I said my sad farewells, grabbed a cab, and met Tammy (aka Tammmmmeehhhh) at the Met. We saw the "China: Through the Looking Glass" fashion exhibit, which both of us had wanted to see rather desperately, so it's great that we were able to do it together. The dresses were, for the most part, either totally gorgeous or so ridiculous as to be really entertaining. We also took a brief swing through the "Sultans of Deccan India" exhibit, which had a bunch of diamonds, garnets, and other jewels and artifacts from India. All in all, it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon (despite the crowds), and there's perhaps no one else I'd rather go to a clothing exhibit with than Tammy, so that was fun.

After the museum, we met up with her boyfriend (who had no interest in fashion...ridic) and had a highly overpriced drink at Bar Pleiades. The drink was actually super tasty, but the neighborhood encourages outlandish prices. Still, it was a lovely way to spend an hour before parting ways with Tammy and Daniel and walking over to Central Park's Bethesda Fountain for my next rendezvous...

...which was with Ritu, Bill, Steph and Jon, who had spent the day wandering around and were ready for me to join them in their peregrinations. Oddly, as we sat there, we were eventually joined by Adit, who is in town for the weekend and ran four miles to say hi to us. This yielded vast quantities of sweat, so I didn't hug him, but other than that things were pretty much as normal. So we talked to him for thirty minutes or so before I insisted that we leave him behind so that we could have dinner before our respective train trips.

Dinner was duly accomplished at Jaiya Thai, where we had some v. spicy curry, some lovely duck, delish pad thai, and a terrible rum cocktail (but then, I didn't want a cocktail, so I don't regret not finishing it. Then I ran back to my hotel to grab my bags, and I rendezvoused with Ritu and Bill at Penn Station, where we caught a train to Boston. We inadvertently sat in the quiet car, which meant Ritu and I spent the vast majority of the trip (until we fell asleep thirty minutes from Boston) whispering secrets to each other while drinking a bunch of inferior cafe car wine (which they ran out of almost immediately, so it was good we bought three small bottles while they had them).

Now, I'm safely ensconced in Ritu and Bill's guest room, and I need to sleep properly before I pass out. Goodnight!

No comments: