Tuesday, August 11, 2015

down on virginia and la loma, where i got friends who'll care for me

I hit up a wide variety of locales and peoples today, which was totally delightful (if totally unproductive). I should have gone to the cafe this morning, but I wasn't feeling the walk, so I stayed home and did a bit of work while drinking tea and admiring the view from my windows. Then I drove to the south bay and trained with Alyssa. It's amazing that she can tell from how I'm walking how much time I spent on the couch with my laptop - due to Saturday's metadata updating extravaganza, I was tighter than I've been recently (although leaving the day job has been v. good for my body and wellbeing overall). So we did a lot of stretching/various exercises to get all that sorted out, plus the usual nefarious kettlebell agenda.

After that, I cleaned myself up and went to my former place of employment for lunch with my former boss. It's been three months since I left, which is hard to believe, and yet not hard at all since it feels like forever (in a good way). We caught up on a wide variety of tings, so that was all good. Then, I went over to my old building and absconded with Eugene for a break across the street; the problem with going back to campus is that I want to see everyone, but if I see everyone I get stuck in traffic and get nothing done, so I have to be judicious in my visits. But my presence must have been sensed, since two other people emailed me while I was driving home to say they wanted to see me in the next couple of weeks...so we'll see how that goes.

sssanyway, Eugene was good, and I caught up with him without biting him (unlike my going-away party), so that was lovely. Then I drove home, managing to avoid all traffic through some minor miracle, and grabbed some Philz Coffee on the way. That wasn't enough to keep me from needing a nap, but the nap was a short one. Then, rather than writing, I messed around with photos - I want to print a bunch of new ones for the photo wall I'm making + for the inspiration boards that I need to put up, and so I went through several years' worth of photos. This turned out to be a v. fun exercise, filled with v. fun (occasionally bittersweet, but mostly fun) memories. I'm not done yet, but it was a good way to kill the early evening...

....and then I drove to Berkeley to have dinner with John and Jess in their new house. They just moved on Saturday, so they're definitely still getting settled in, but their new house is actually an old house, and it's incredible. I loved everything about it on first sight, and it was especially lovely to see them already settling into it (and into a much more convenient life, since it's only a few minutes from John's office on campus + not far from Jess's new job in Berkeley). So we caught up on life and tings while eating chicken and drinking pinot noir, and it was an excellent evening that was actually worth the drive over and back (shocking that I would say that about the dirty east bay, I know).

But now that I'm home, I must sleep immediately so that I can be in it to win it tomorrow - goodnight!

[and p.s. - happy birthday to Katie, whom I adore, although you don't hear much about her on zee blog since she lives in Denver - but I walked by Biscuits and Blues the other night and remembered the v. drunken evening we had there many years ago despite being underage, and it seems fitting to remember that now even though we're all getting old. happy birthday!]

No comments: