Monday, August 24, 2015

hungry and hollow for all the things you took away

I leave for Iowa in less than eight hours, which means I need to get up in less than six, which means I should go to bed immediately. However, today was pretty lovely despite the chaos of trying to get ready. I got up at 6:30ish, took care of some business-y type things at home, and then went to the cafe and wrote for a couple of hours before going to the gym. The writing was going okay this morning, so I was not very happy to have to leave, but I also wanted to see Alyssa before getting on a plane and wrecking my body, so I prioritized the workout.

And the workout, as it turns out, was good; my body is in much better shape than it was last week since I've been sleeping better (thank you, Karl the Fog, for returning at night and making my apartment more bearable...and also thank you, Joe, for the $35 shot of gin that somehow reset my brain into something more approaching serenity (although I don't actually think it was the gin, and if it was, that would be a v. dangerous habit to form)). So we did some kettlebell stuff, and she's programming workouts for me to do with the kettlebells I have in Iowa, which should be fun (or something).

Then I went to the post office to take care of some errands, grabbed a quick lunch, and drove back to the evil city, where I commenced the packing process. Since this necessitated doing laundry, it took longer than it should have, but I also took a break to go out in search of coffee, and I talked to Katie for a little bit, and I eventually had to shower since I hadn't showered after the gym. Then I walked over to Fillmore to meet up with Lauren (aka Subz) for dinner at Dosa - we hadn't seen each other in a couple of weeks, and I insisted on seeing her before I left because she might, possibly, have a baby before I get back (although her due date is right before my birthday, so she could just be even more ready to give birth when I get back).

We had a long, lovely, meandering conversation over Indian food, which is how our friendship first formed, so it seems appropriate to continue the tradition occasionally. Unlike India, however, the service was almost nonexistent; while I'm glad there weren't fifteen men hovering over us trying to get 'ma'am' to order something else, I probably could have been convinced to have another glass of wine if the server had ever shown up again. But that's all neither here nor there. It was great to see Lauren, as per usual, and I'm looking forward to meeting her child at some point in the very near future.

Then Lauren gave me a ride home, I spent a few minutes scurrying about and taking out the compost and washing my face, and now I shall sleep and hope to get five and a half good hours before the alarm goes off. Goodnight!

No comments: