Wednesday, August 26, 2015

i don't really care if nobody else believes

It was my first full day in Iowa, and it proceeded as it normally does here - I overslept, sat around talking to my parents in my pajamas for way too long, eventually took a leisurely shower, and then sat on the back porch admiring the view of the gardens and fields, fighting off the flies, and pretending to write.

Okay, so I wasn't totally pretending; I got some work done, but it wasn't millions of words. I think tomorrow I need to fuel myself up earlier - I didn't get any caffeine until two p.m., which in retrospect was my first mistake. But the caffeine was good once I had it (iced coffee using Starbucks Via packets, which was surprisingly good (or perhaps the fact that I could make it in fifteen seconds made it seem better than it was)), and the ideas are starting to flow for Rafe and Octavia, so hopefully I can get some more writing done while I'm here.

Eventually, though, I gave up and spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out - partially talking to my mom, partially messing around on the internet (not that I really wanted to read any news today). And eventually, it was time for supper, which was mostly an excuse to eat a pound of butter - we had crab legs, corn on the cob, and baked potatoes, all of which require copious amounts of butter, and so I was in a v. happy place (please do not comment on the fact that my happy place involves butter).

Post-supper, we watched some fine CBS programming - 'Extant' with Halle Berry seems interesting enough, and 'Criminal Minds' was less scary/awful than usual because it involved plane crashes rather than psychotic torture scenes in basements (although it's odd that I find plane crashes less scary, given that I fly a lot - but then, I'm sleeping in a walk-out basement while I'm in Iowa, so maybe that's why the basement scenes on 'Criminal Minds', which I only watch here, always freak me out). And now, I believe I shall go to bed (or write in my journal, then go to bed) so that I can get up a little earlier and hopefully get some more writing done tomorrow...but we shall see. Goodnight!

No comments: