Tuesday, August 18, 2015

like dreaming of angels and leaving without them

I'm going to bed immediately so that I can get back on the early-morning train more effectively - today wasn't bad, but I was still recovering from my sleepless weekend, so I didn't get up and around as early as I planned. But I went to the cafe and worked for a few hours this morning before grabbing breakfast at MyMy (clearly my grand plans of cooking for myself all the time went out the window sometime around NYC, but I'm going to get back into cooking when I'm back from Iowa).

Then I drove most of the way down the peninsula to get a massage from a massage therapist whom Alyssa had recommended for me. I haven't had a regular massage therapist in a year or two, since the woman I used to use (and love) moved to Colorado and I never found someone I liked going to regularly. But given what a disaster my body was yesterday, I was glad that I was able to get in to see this woman today. She's definitely not a spa-type masseuse - in fact, there were points where I nearly wanted to cry and/or vomit from the pressure/joint movements. But even though my body now feels subtly bruised everywhere, I think it was worth it...we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

After that, I came home, messed around the apartment for a bit, realized I wasn't going to get any more work done, and so went to Philz and read a book for awhile while drinking coffee. Then I came home, showered, ate a sandwich, and spent the rest of the evening cleaning out my closet. I had purged a bunch of clothes before I moved, but I'm finding that I'm overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I still have, and there are certainly types of clothing that I don't need in my new life, and there are other things that I've held on to and don't need/want/like/wear anymore.

I'm mostly using the 'does this spark joy' method recommended by the "Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" book that I started reading while I was stranded in Tahiti in May. I'd used some of those principles casually since then (particularly the strategies for folding stuff, which are great), and I've been tossing more stuff than usual, but I decided to go all-in on the clothing (and potentially everything else) in an effort to reduce the mental energy required by seeing stuff in my apartment.

Since I'd already done one purge before, this purge didn't take too long - I got through all my clothing in two hours, although I need to rehang some stuff to be oriented differently, and I need to pack up the stuff I'm giving away/tossing/selling. That was just clothing, though; I also want to purge shoes and bags, but that's a project for another day. And then I'm going to do another round of book purging...I gave away ten bags of books when I moved, but the 'spark joy' method is probably going to cull the herd even further.

However, bedtime is more important than continuing the purge, so I'm going to sleep so that I can write joyfully before going to see Alyssa tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: