Sunday, August 02, 2015

mischief managed

It's time for bed if I'm going to hit the writing hard tomorrow on the schedule I've planned for myself...but today was a lovely, albeit child-filled, day. I got the ten hours of sleep that I needed last night, which put me in a much better mood this morning, but it also meant that I was running late for the baby shower that I cohosted for Lauren (aka Subz) and Nathan. However, I successfully prepped all the stuff for two punches, carted it all down to my car, showered, etc., and made it to the house at a respectable time.

And, truth be told, I was pretty respectable overall - I remembered that I showed up to her bridal shower with an epic hangover from Adit's birthday party in 2012 (not that I could have told you why I had the hangover - the blog is like my own private (public) pensieve), and I also was the inebriated bridesmaid at the wedding, so I was v. v. glad that I didn't show up with a hangover today so that all the parents of small children could judge me. However, I did my best to get the parents of small children drunk off my champagne punch (which, don't tell them, also contains cognac/grand marnier/triple sec). I may have only succeeded with John and Jess, who were my partners in childfree crime, but that was quite all right with me. We spent the early afternoon on the deck and the later afternoon on the windowseat while the fifteen or so children in attendance ran all over everywhere, and while I might feel differently someday, the childfree life today was v. lovely.

sssanyway, the party turned out beautifully; Lauren and Nathan seemed to enjoy it, and Lauren's mom brought some awesome food, and the children didn't burn down the house or poop all over everything, so that seems like a success!

After the party, I stuck around for quite awhile and helped clean up, but I made it home by 4:30 and called my parents (who were getting yet another storm, because #Iowa). Then I walked all the way to the Marina to have a comfort dinner at Mezes; I desperately need to buy groceries that aren't champagne, but I was past the point of being able to forage here, and I wanted to relax. Marco (the bartender) took excellent care of me while I wrote in my planner to ruminate over my previous month and plan for August, so that was a great end to the weekend.

And now, as I said, I need to sleep so I can be in it to win it tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: