Tuesday, August 25, 2015

then the king and the queen went back to the green...but you can never go back there again

I have safely arrived in ye olde Iowa after a very long, mostly tiring day of traveling. I made it out of bed by 3:30, into a car by 4, through security by 4:30, and onto the plane with a latte and some yogurt to get me through the beginning of my day. I slept most of the way to Denver, and it seemed that everything was going according to plan...

...but then my flight from Denver to Des Moines was delayed an hour and a half. I was too tired to accomplish much of anything during that break, but I did some sales tracking/forecasting, so I suppose that was something. I also mainlined iced coffee in an attempt to wake myself up, which was mostly successful. So I dozed a bit on the second flight, but also managed to write a couple of pages, which I'll totally take.

My parents were waiting for me when I arrived, and we were reunited in the usual fashion by having a late lunch at Johnny's. This tradition is so sacrosanct that I plan my flight arrivals/departures around mealtimes (which is the smart thing to do anyway, since it's seventy miles from home to the airport, and food is necessary to survive the drive before/after the flight to/from SF). So we had lunch, then drove home with a stop in Indianola to buy groceries (and for me, groceries = champagne).

I dozed off somewhere south of Indianola, which enabled me to make it through the rest of the night without sleeping. We hung out and were generally slothful after getting home, including sitting on the back porch for a bit to admire the gardens and the water feature my dad built, until the mosquitoes drove us inside. We also enjoyed some fine CBS programming, although after seeing one episode of NCIS: New Orleans, I've got to say I don't like it nearly as well as what I've seen of the other NCIS's.

And now, after that hard-hitting tv commentary, and after unpacking my suitcase and sending some emails, I need to sleep so I can get on Iowa time and also get some writing done tomorrow and also hang out with the 'rents. Goodnight!

No comments: