Sunday, September 13, 2015

i won't let it go down till we torch it ourselves

Today was almost entirely spent socializing, along with some massive pain because my thirty-four-year-old body is suddenly old and decrepit. I woke up and my neck still hurt, which put a serious cramp (lol) in my plan to write before socializing - instead, I sat at my table and researched/ordered a cushion for my preferred writing chair, since I think part of the problem is that my dining table is slightly too high to be a desk for my short frame.

But eventually, despite the pain, I rallied and drove to Half Moon Bay to pursue my fun activities. Driving was probably ill-advised, since I have trouble looking to the right (which is kind of critical for merging), but I had fun plans and didn't want to cancel them. The plan was to have tea with ladies - and by ladies I mean Joann and Jen, since there were several things for the three of us to celebrate over the past couple of months and we were never able to get together for them.

We went to the Ritz, since I love that place, although it's obviously absurdly overpriced. But we sat in the conservatory and split a bottle of prosecco, some cheese and charcuterie, some delish fries, and some oysters, which are pretty much all my favorite things. And then we took a desultory walk along the coastal trail, through the mist and fog that obscured most of the ocean view - San Francisco and Half Moon Bay have returned to their usual foggy situations, and it's misting in the city tonight, which is both an awesome and terrible return to form after last week's epic heat. Despite the fog, I always love Half Moon Bay, and it was nice to get some quality time with Joann and Jen that didn't involve some or all of us having to get off work and speed to some other part of the bay area for a rushed dinner on a Tuesday or something.

Finally, though, it was time to part ways...just in time, since my ibuprofen had worn off ages earlier and my head was starting to hurt just as badly as my neck, so I stopped at Rite Aid and bought some Aleve and a bottle of water to try to make it through the drive home. When I got here, I crawled into bed with my heating pad wrapped around my neck (I don't think you're supposed to do that) and slept for an hour; that, plus the Aleve, plus more ibuprofen, made it possible for me to rally for dinner, even though I'm probably shredding my stomach lining in an attempt to get through this. Yes, poor me.

But I got out of bed, put on clothes again, and pursued the second plan of the night...dinner with Andrew and Dave, my former coworkers from a lifetime ago. Dave and I both left our team while Andrew was in Paris, and in our joint goodbye conference call we'd committed to having dinner or drinks or something to say goodbye (since Andrew missed my epic going away party where I consumed far too many shots of tequila). Andrew got back in July, just as I was leaving for NYC...so it has taken two months to get the plan to actually come together, since multiple people canceled multiple times.

But with My Tofu House (which Andrew and I both, apparently, independently adore) as the lure, especially on a foggy night, we didn't cancel this time. So we caught up on all sorts of shenanigans while eating soft tofu soup, which was vastly entertaining and a) made me really miss my coworkers while b) being extremely glad that I no longer have coworkers. Given our respective schedules and the fact that Andrew moved to the Haight rather than living two blocks from me, I don't know if this is destined to happen again anytime soon...but it was certainly a ridiculous way to end the weekend.

And now I'm going to pop all the painkillers, go to bed, and hope that my neck pain subsides enough that I can put in some solid work before training with Alyssa tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: