Thursday, September 10, 2015

past the point of no return

I shall be thirty-four tomorrow, and while I don't think the flags will be flying at half-mast for me, you never know! (too soon?)

In honor of that, I'm planning an internet hiatus...I hate social media and the news around my birthday anyway, for reasons that have nothing to do with me and everything to do with nationwide mourning, so it seems like a good time to do it. And while the book is going better than it was, I still find that I'm way too easily distracted - I'll write for twenty minutes, and then read twitter/news/whatever for an hour, which is a v. bad ratio. Part of that is probably because there's still something that feels off about the story, and so I'm having trouble sinking into it and remaining focused...but eliminating some distractions seems like a good idea.

However, today was decent enough; I slept in after last night's late night, and then made breakfast and did some work at home before going over to Fillmore and trying a new coffee location. I had intended to go to Jane, but every table was taken and it seemed super hot in there, so I went half a block farther up and camped out at Peet's. Yes, it's a chain, but it had air conditioning and a perfect seat with a great view of the shenanigans on Fillmore, so I predict that I'll go there occasionally when my usual haunts are boring me.

After I wrote there (slash procrastinated there) for a couple of hours, I ran a couple of errands, came home, and generally was unproductive the rest of the day. But I read part of a new book, which I'm enjoying so far (A CURIOUS BEGINNING by Deanna Raybourn, whom I adore as one of my favorite writers of Victorian mysteries (or perhaps of anything at all) and as a hilarious person). And I said goodbye to thirty-three by writing some earth-shattering insights in my journal, none of which I shall share with you tonight, but all of which have to do with embracing my ambition and my storytelling talent rather than being afraid of it.

So, I'm looking forward to whatever thirty-four has to offer, and I'm ready for it to begin. And now I'm going to sleep so that I can wake up to my new age -- goodnight!

No comments: