Tuesday, September 15, 2015

stockings ripped all up the sides

Fair warning: this post is going to be incredibly boring because my day was incredibly boring to anyone but me. Feel free to skip it - you won't hurt my feelings.

I woke up this morning and started writing earlyish, but I eventually got distracted because I had to shower earlier than usual because the building was going to shut off the hot water for some reason for most of the day. Then I had a videoconference with a former coworker to clarify some stuff I had done many months ago, which oddly felt like I was back at work...but hopefully after yesterday's social extravaganza and today's videoconference (and Thursday's phone call with another former direct report about something else), I can get back into being my writerly self. If nothing else, though, this is all a good reminder that I want to make the writing thing work so I can run my own business rather than going back to being a middle manager someplace, so hopefully that serves as inspiration for the next few weeks/months/whatever.

After that, I messed around in the kitchen and finally changed the lightbulb that burned out two weeks ago - but either the lightbulb I put in is also dead, or something else is wrong, because that lightbulb burned out the second time I turned it on. Grr. Then I took a walk, mailed my taxes (another grr), talked to my dad, and bought groceries. I ended up doing a lot of food prep tonight - I bought two roasted chickens and shredded them for soup/salads/etc., and then I made chicken tortilla soup for dinner. While that was cooking, I prepped the fixings for several more batches of soup so I could freeze the veggies precut to save time for future cooking endeavors, and I also cleaned out the fridge and took out my compost.

And then I spent the evening plotting and scheming, sending some business emails, scheduling my activities for the next couple of weeks, etc. And then I tossed aside all attempts at productivity and watched most of an episode of Colbert's new late night show; Amy Schumer and Stephen King were both on the other night, which seemed like a good episode to try. I'm not sure I'm feeling his new schtick yet, but Stephen King is always interesting (even if his books are too scary for me - I still think far more often than one might expect about 'The Eyes of the Dragon', which I read in high school, and which wasn't even a horror novel - it was closer to classic fantasy; I also read and was deeply terrified by 'Misery', but maybe that is scary because it's about an author, which may strike too close to home).

sssanyway, now I'm going to sleep and pursue my plan of getting up super early tomorrow; the words seem to be coming best in the early morning hours, and I may just have to give in to that knowledge and embrace it rather than seeking out my formerly night-owl self. Goodnight!

No comments: