Sunday, September 06, 2015

this magic, this drunken semaphore

I am quite happy to be sitting on my couch rather than in a moving vehicle, especially since it feels like I'm still moving even though I got home half an hour ago. But today was lovely despite the incessant driving. I didn't get up all that early this morning, but I got up early enough to do some work and drink some iced coffee before pursuing my plans for the day.

And those plans involved picking up [censored] at the airport, who is in town for [censored]. [censored] got in around 9:45am, so we had brunch at Peter's Cafe, which is a fond memory from the days of my youth, when it used to be open all night so that those of us who played 'shrimp or feet' at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge across the street could fortify ourselves there in the wee hours before meeting our 'shrimp or feet' fate. It's no longer open all night, but the food was still tasty, so [censored] and I caught up over some good downhome cooking before continuing our peregrinations.

The plan for today was to go to the Monterey Aquarium. We accomplished this, but it was not without its downsides. The main downside was that it took nearly four hours to get there, which was significantly longer than the hour and forty-five minutes originally promised to us by Waze (if I'd know it would take four hours, I might have suggested doing something else, like dousing ourselves in kerosene and immolating ourselves in the nearest fire). And once we were there, we discovered that the aquarium was full of screaming children, which is all the birth control I need for awhile. However, the aquarium is still awesome even after driving that far, and even with the kids, so we spent a delightful couple of hours exploring it.

After that, we had an early dinner on Cannery Row, at a place where we could overlook the water (although I gave [censored] the better view). Then we drove back to the evil city, and traffic was actually really smooth, but it still took 2.5hrs to get back. This wasn't terrible, and it gave time for me and [censored] to catch up and talk all about [censored], which was vastly [censored].

But eventually, I dropped [censored] off at [censored], and then came home, where I intend to sleep the sleep of the dead. Goodnight!

No comments: