Saturday, September 19, 2015

trying to catch the beat make up your heart

I probably should have taken today off, but I attempted to write and it was not particularly successful. I blame the fact that I couldn't write this morning - instead, I slept too late (eight a.m....how did I get so old that sleeping until eight is late?), and then took my car to get a couple of chips in my windshield fixed. They did that while I ate breakfast at a surprisingly decent cafe on one of the most uninspiring blocks in the city, and I wrote in my journal and contemplated Rafe and Octavia and thought I was ready to hit it...

...and then I got home and was not ready to hit it. I figured out some timeline stuff and plotted the next scene, etc., but none of that resulted in the number of pages I wanted to write today. I did send a couple of business emails and do some planning for the week, so it wasn't all sloth. But I'm going to go to bed as soon as I write this post, set my teamaker to make early morning tea, and seize tomorrow in the way I failed to seize today.

Because I was banging my head against the story, I skipped most social possibilities today, but I eventually rallied (and by that I mean showered), picked up Adit (some people call him Rosé) and Priyanka, and went to Claudia's (you may know her as Santy Claude or Claud the Fraud). Claudia hosted a party that was intended to be a flan-off, since she and her Portuguese lab mate both made flan of differing types, but really it just involved eating many delicious things - Claudia's brother Marco (whom I hadn't seen in ages) made ceviche, and Jim and Jill made guacamole, and Claudia made two kinds of enchiladas that were totally delish.

This was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours; Claudia's backyard has an awesome view of other parts of the city, and I liked her coworkers. It was also great to see Marco after many years apart; I can't find a mention of him on zee blog after 2008, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen him since then...but it has certainly been years. And Adit and Priyanka were as ridiculous as always, so that was a nice way to life my writerly spirits before hitting the slog again tomorrow.

Eventually, though, it was time to get out of there, so I dropped Adit and Priyanka off and came home so that I can sleep and then write all the words tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: