Thursday, September 24, 2015

you fit me better than my favorite sweater

I'm sick, exhausted, and vaguely cranky (but I think only because I'm sick)...but I made it to Iowa after a very smooth and uneventful trip. This morning wasn't totally smooth - I took longer getting ready than I should have, and so while I was at the airport early enough to have no stress about boarding my flight, I wasn't there early enough to have the leisurely breakfast of my dreams. Instead, I scarfed down some eggs with bacon and a lot of mexicanish toppings from Urban Tortilla, which was sufficient to get me through the day but not sufficient to satisfy my desires. But I made it on that flight, and then I had a leisurely hour in Denver (with time to get coffee, which was all that kept me going), and then the flight to Des Moines was slightly rough but otherwise uneventful.

When I arrived in Iowa, I made the unusual move of renting a car rather than getting picked up by my parents - I'm only here for a few days and I thought I might want the advantage of my own wheels whilst here. So I picked up the car, grabbed more coffee, and drove home in the vanishing twilight, which is probably the worst time to drive in terms of deer concerns. I only had two come out in front of me (at the same time, and I was in no serious danger of hitting them); the only others I saw were an entire herd in the front yard when I got home, but they weren't in the driveway, so they posed no threat.

And now I'm holed up in my bedroom, after a brief chat with my parents, a longer chat with [censored] while I ate their leftover supper, and a bit of time spent unpacking my few possessions. I'm hopeful that I can get a lot of sleep tonight and start to kick this cold before I give it to anyone else in my family, but we shall see. Goodnight!

No comments: