Monday, October 26, 2015

come on hide your lovers underneath the covers

I think I'm still recovering from Saturday night's bender, and it's possible that I still looked hungover today (but I was wearing a v. hipster number, with skinny jeans and a plaid shirt over a too-lowcut tank top, and adding dark sunglasses to them didn't help to make me look sober)...but today was certainly better than yesterday in terms of energy/mood. Still, I didn't get up early enough to accomplish any writing - sleep was more important, so I stayed in bed as long as I could and am looking forward to returning there posthaste.

But I got up eventually, showered, put together my hipster ensemble, and then drove my sad car over to the body shop, where they will hopefully make it less sad. They're going to keep it for a week or so, and in the meantime I have a sweet rental (not really all that sweet - it's weird driving a car when I'm used to driving my crossover SUV, which is basically a car, but it's a few inches higher up and has much better trim than the rental car).

So I dropped the car off, took a lyft to the rental place, got the car, and then drove to the glorious south bay. I had dinner plans in MTV tonight, and I didn't want to get stuck in traffic later, so I went early so I could write at Stanford. I fortified myself for the task ahead by having lunch (mostly froyo), and then I holed myself up in Green Library for a few hours. This wasn't as productive as I had hoped, mostly because I was so tired (I laid my head down on the desk and took a nap for half an hour) and because Green Library now has wireless for guest visitors (if there had been Facebook/Twitter/laptops/wifi when I was in college, I probably wouldn't have graduated). But I got some decent work done, and I took a break to drink a tiger spice chai from Coupa in the sun outside of the library, so all in all, it was a gorgeous afternoon.

Eventually, though, I threw in the towel and drove to downtown Mountain View, where I had a spinster dinner with Joann at Shell Shock. That's where we planned our spinster honeymoon oh so many months ago, and we had a delightful time catching up on not-so-delightful topics of conversation. The miso glazed sea bass continues to be the very best thing on the menu, but my fish tacos were pretty tasty even if I couldn't finish them. And then I sped home and did an assignment for a Stanford writing class that just started today (it's only five weeks, and it's online, and I signed up for it in August when I thought I'd be done with the book by now, and I'm not sure whether I'm going to stay in it - I'll report more on it if I don't drop it this week). And now I'm going to go to bed, hope that another solid night of sleep fixes what ails me, and hit it hard tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: