Tuesday, October 13, 2015

holiday in spain

Today was truly excellent. Weirdly, I just realized that on the surface, to an outside observer of my life (I guess that might be you!), today looked like a lot of other days I've had since leaving the day job - but the excellence vs. abject misery tends to be internal and almost entirely related to zee romance novel and how I'm feeling about it. This is a lesson I shall ponder later.....

But for now, the details. I woke up earlyish but less early than I wanted, and I spent the morning mostly dealing with business/insurance stuff. Happily, after talking to the other driver's insurance company, they immediately accepted full responsibility (I know, I'm shocked...not shocked that I wasn't at fault, but that they agreed to pay so quickly). So I talked to my insurance company again, and then talked to an auto body shop, and I'm taking my car in on Thursday to get the estimate and schedule the repairs. I'm hoping I can leave it there over the weekend and take a rental car to Tahoe, but we shall see.

So that was all good, or as good as it can be considering that I would rather not have to deal with this. I also talked to my dad for quite awhile; this started as a discussion about insurance and car repair, but turned into a much-needed pep talk about the book and my instincts to blow it all up and rewrite vast swathes of it. Then I took care of some stuff online, made a vague attempt at looking presentable, and abandoned my work to have lunch with Lauren (aka Subz).

Lauren was in fine form, and her baby has put on like a pound and a half in the last week, which, given his age, makes him look visibly bigger, which is crazy. Lunch was fairly perfectly timed with his sleeping; we walked over to Laurel Village and grabbed food and caught up for an hour, and then walked back to her place just as he was waking up and starting to realize that he wanted to eat. It was great to see Lauren, of course, and hopefully we don't have to let as much time go by between catchups as we did in the first month after delivery, when she and Finley weren't ready for company and I was out of town anyway.

I left before the crying started in earnest, came home to grab my laptop, and went to Fort Mason to work for the afternoon. I spent my time there scribbling notes (it turns out the laptop wasn't necessary, but my perfect notebook and my overly expensive pen were) on the new idea for Rafe and Octavia, and I'm really excited about it. Perhaps that excitement will vanish....but it's this weird feeling, that I can't describe, of an idea that feels alive rather than dead, which translates into a feeling of almost physical heat, like my brain and heart are on fire. Perhaps I shouldn't have even tried to describe it, since reading that sentence makes me realize that I sound crazy.

Whatevs. You've been reading this long...you know I'm not the most normal person in your acquaintance. So I scribbled until Goody closed and my parking ran out, and then I came home and mulled over the idea some more while spending some quality time on the treadmill in the building's gym. I was going to read a book on the Peninsular Wars while working out, but the Democratic debate was on the tv in the gym, so I watched that, and then watched most of the rest of it while eating leftover soup on my couch. I would say Chafee and Webb might as well pack it in (especially Chafee, who made my day because a NYTimes article I read earlier today ended with 'In an earlier version of this story, we misspelled Chafee as 'Chaffee' - if a political correspondent covering a presidential election can't spell your name, you might be done) (but also especially Webb, who bizarrely seemed to use the 'I'm friends with black people' rationale, which I would imagine will not go over well with the likely voters in the Democratic primary). And now I shall go back to ignoring politics as much as possible until we get closer to a vote...although I will say I hope the Republican field starts narrowing itself more aggressively, since there could be a lot more substance in a debate if there weren't so many fucking people standing on the stage trying to talk.

After that hot mess, I took a bath in deference to my muscles (which don't appear to be too achey, yay), and then worked on the new idea for Rafe and Octavia until now. I'm hoping tomorrow will be equally productive, although I'll need to vacate at some point because they're shutting off the building's water for most of the day and I can't write when I'm dehydrated and/or need to pee. We shall see...but today was a day I would like to replicate sometime. Goodnight!

No comments: