Saturday, October 31, 2015

how deep is your love

Tonight took a strange left turn, as nights involving Adit usually do. But first, to recap the day....I woke up this morning, showered, made coffee, sat down to write, and completely failed at that endeavor. It wasn't a total loss; I did some editing to the scene I've been working on, and I had some good ideas for what to do next, so it's not like I accomplished nothing. But it certainly wasn't the eight pages I was striving for...

...but instead of continuing to strive, I embarked on a very stereotypically Marina (the neighborhood, not my friend, although that's coming later) afternoon. First I saw my aesthetician, which is super-marina-white-girl of me, and then I had brunch at my favorite cafe, where Tony and I commiserated over how Halloween will be a total shitshow in that neighborhood. After that, I went to the gym, where I wrote for an hour in the spacious, gorgeous lobby, and then I worked out for the first time in a month. I will likely be totally sore tomorrow, and I reactivated the calluses on my hands, but it felt good. And I must not have lost my form too badly, since one of the trainers commented on the fact that I'd brought my own chalk, said it was nice to see someone who knew what they were doing with kettlebells, and asked if I'm certified. So I guess Alyssa must have taught me right!

sssanyway, after my workout, I walked home and sat on the couch, which turned into an inadvertent nap. Then I showered, ate a couple of snacks, considered writing, and was on the verge of going out to write at a wine bar (in fact, I was in the hallway on the way to the elevator) when Adit texted and asked if I wanted to have dinner and a movie (note: as any longterm readers of the blog can guess, this is not the 'netflix and chill' of modern parlance, but rather the entirely-platonic 'dinner and a movie' of the olden days).

So I ended up meeting Adit, Priyanka, and Marina at Shizen for dinner. Shizen is vegan sushi, which in some ways feels like an abomination, but it's truly excellent vegan sushi, and most of their menu is also gluten free (and it's all v. clearly labeled). So the four of us had a delightful dinner (after standing in line for awhile), even if Marina unluckily got the spicy piece in the 'surprise ending' roll, which was bad since she was probably the one of us who was least able to tolerate spice. But the rolls were all tasty and the ramen was truly excellent, so I left feeling happy.

Then, we walked Marina to the 16th and Mission BART station (which reminds me why I don't live near there, since we walked through a veritable forest of needles and bodily fluids), and then Adit, Priyanka and I caught an uber to the Kabuki, where we saw 'The Martian'. I happened to love it; I adore Matt Damon, as always, and the movie gave me fond memories of when I wanted to be an astronaut (a dream I perhaps should have pursued, since I loved the space engineering camp I went to in high school....but life took many strange twists and turns, and instead I became a middle manager before becoming a romance novelist, none of which require me to live at zero gravity or recycle my own urine).

What I didn't adore was that between seeing the movie at one of the more expensive theatres in the city (reserved seating is awesome, though!), in 3-D, and also buying wine for me and Adit (and deciding we would be good and limit ourselves to glasses, but then ordering the big glass each, which we didn't realize is supposedly half a bottle per glass, which means we should have just split a bottle of the cheaper stuff rather than each ordering a 'glass' of the good stuff), and also buying a bottle of water (which turned out to be Voss water, which is absurd).....the grand total for such an outing was ~$120 for three people. It may not be apparent in the rest of America yet, but we are living in the fall of Rome. There will come a point where it is unsustainable for some people to pay $20 for a movie ticket and $30 for a glass of wine and some water, while others are living on sidewalks and shitting everywhere. And I'm guessing San Francisco is going to reach that point in the foreseeable future, since it's starting to feel like the have/have not divide is reaching a crisis point...and also that the expenses even for the 'haves' are reaching absurd levels of profligacy, and that paying $50 to go to the movies is fucking stupid.

sssanyway. Maybe that's my $30 glass of wine talking. The movie was good, though, and I'm glad I saw it in 3D - the technology has definitely gotten better, and I enjoyed it without getting a headache, so that was great. And I enjoyed the inside joke about 'The Lord of the Rings', since Sean Bean was in the movie (I would say more, but then there would be spoilers). And Adit and Priyanka are as entertaining as always, and I can't wait to meet their baby (due any day now). And now, on all those notes, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: