Wednesday, October 21, 2015

lie down in darkness

This is the end of my writing retreat, and while I don't feel like I got enough done, I'm still pretty satisfied with what I've accomplished and where I'm headed. Granted, a lot of what I accomplished was psychological (figuring out the story, still....and more importantly, figuring out how to accept that I'm not done and to hopefully stop beating myself up so badly for struggling so much with this book).

Amusingly enough, in one of those weird little serendipitous moments, I searched my blog to see if I've used 'lie down in darkness' as a title before (it's a Moby song that's on an album I often listen to when I'm trying to get into the story), and I found that I used it on September 17, 2011....on a night when I had similarly struggled, and had managed to write four pages by lying facedown on the bed and typing with my eyes closed to keep my internal editor from being such an evil bitch. So I'm keeping this title as-is, and hopefully taking the memory of a similar night four years ago to remind myself that I've managed to publish five books since then, so all is not lost despite my current despair over this one.

sssanyway, I'm starting to bore myself with how much I'm overthinking all of this, so I'll spare you more details (and actually, I think I've turned the corner and am coming out of the local minima, so I'm excited to keep making progress). The rest of my day was fine - I did some work this morning, talked to my parents, had some lunch/brainstorming with the group, procrastinated this afternoon (with a bit of writing/rereading thrown in, but not as much as I should have had), and then had dinner with the group at an awesome pub with an even more awesome cottage pie (gluten free, like a beef stew with mashed potatoes on top). And then we came back and discussed all manner of ridiculous things, and I continue to educate the group on v. dirty things, which is my role in life, I guess.

And now I must sleep, since we're leaving relatively early tomorrow morning...and then I shall get back into my regularly scheduled life (except for the fact that there are some special guests coming up on the blog this weekend - get excited). Goodnight!

No comments: