Tuesday, October 06, 2015

you are my sunshine

Today got off to a fine start from a productivity standpoint, and it ended on a fine note from a friendship standpoint, but I probably went too deep on friends and too light on words produced. Given that I've been pretty hermity recently, though, I think this was a great tradeoff. I spent the morning writing/working, which went pretty well. Then I took a break to make lunch (tasty salad), and then I decided to walk to Fort Mason to work at the cafe there. I figured this would kill two birds with one stone, since it's two miles in each direction (which felt like a good bit of exercise) and also a great place to be productive.

However, when I got there, it was jampacked with people who were at Fort Mason for some conference. The owner commiserated with me over the fact that I wasn't going to be able to write there, although I thought if I lingered long enough I might get a table. But just as my latte was ready, Katie called, and so I drank my latte while sitting on a bench outside watching the boats and talking to Katie for an hour. It was great to catch up with her, as per usual, and it made me deeply wish that we lived closer to each other so that we could accomplish such a catch-up over alcohol instead of over broken phonewaves. Hopefully I can make it to Denver to see her sometime soon, but at least we were able to talk despite the distance between us.

After that, I swung back through the cafe and found that it was still full, so I walked home again (and regretted that I had carried my laptop for four miles without ever getting it out of the backpack). Once here, I briefly opened the laptop, but instead took a nap. Then, I drove over the Lauren's (aka Subz's) to catch up with her - I hadn't seen her since the end of August, and she had a baby (Finley, aka Son of Subz) in the intervening time, so we had a ton to discuss. He's super adorable, of course, and it was fun to hold him (albeit briefly). And Lauren, Nathan and I talked for an extended period of time over wine, and then Lauren and I caught up on our own while Nathan took Finley and the dogs for a walk. Then, I pulled a total asshole move and ate their supper - granted, it was chili, and it was already cooking in the slow cooker, so maybe this wasn't an imposition and they were glad to have me, but it felt a little wrong to eat food that could have kept them going later. Oops.

But it was totally wonderful to see them, and totally wonderful to hear how everything is going in their strange and glorious new life. And then I came home, and now I'm going to go to bed early, and thank the universe that it's unlikely that a screaming parasite will wake up to feed off my body multiple times tonight (it's possibly I'm not ready to have a baby yet). Goodnight!

No comments: