Sunday, November 08, 2015

if you told me you were drowning i would not lend a hand

Today was long and I've already fallen asleep twice, but I shall get through the blog so I can go to bed (note to self: if only I were so disciplined about writing words that actually go into books....). The morning was decent enough; I made some eggs, did some business stuff, and contemplated Rafe and Octavia for awhile (so much for taking a break from them...but maybe I should still do that, since it wasn't going all that well this morning).

But eventually I stopped pretending that I was working and met up with Katrina for a long, relaxed afternoon catch-up session. It had been too long since we'd properly caught up (I don't think I saw her at all in October, and perhaps only once or twice in September), but we accomplished this feat over a bottle of white wine (a vermintino/grenache blanc blend that we were both only so-so about, I think, although it was good enough to finish without complaint) on the patio behind Arlequin. She happened to be in my neighborhood before drinks, so we walked down to Hayes Valley together, and then we sat on the patio for a couple of hours and talked about all sorts of things (local politics, aestheticians + my beauty regimen, book deals and whether they are deserved, boys, babies, work, etc., etc.). And in a v. v. odd turn of events, we ran into Javier and his girlfriend; I hadn't seen Jav in years (blog would indicate that I last saw him two years ago at Adit's belated birthday party, but before that I hadn't seen him since a flurry of activity in 2010). It was good to see him and to hear about their adventures at the Tenderloin Museum this afternoon, and also good to verify that he seems to be hitting peak hipster (he was wearing some v. v. stylish sweats, if you're into that).

So, that was a great way to spend an afternoon. Once Katrina and I were done with our wine and talking, we dropped by Warby Parker for three seconds to try on sunglasses, and then we parted ways. I walked home, checked the internet (still there! still way too much useless stuff to read!), and then took a v. v. quick nap. But I had to rally because Claudia (aka Santy Claude) came over to hang out; I hadn't seen her in a few weeks since I went to Tahoe and then she went for an extended work/vacation trip to the east coast, so she brought over a bottle of wine and we ordered pizza and caught up in a v. lowkey way. She ended up staying for about three and a half hours, at which point it was probably clear that I was about to fall asleep and at which point she still felt like going out after, so she left to see another friend and I immediately fell asleep on the couch without even starting to type this.

But I woke up twenty minutes later, washed my face, and wrote this, thus meeting my duty to all of you. And now I must sleep and detox so I can make tomorrow happen - goodnight!

No comments: