Sunday, November 08, 2015

in a little while i won't be blown by every breeze

I was pretty much a total sloth today, so hopefully I've burned out my sloth instincts and am ready to hit it hard tomorrow. Actually, tomorrow may not get hit quite so hard as I'd like since I have activities planned, but it will get hit to some capacity...

But today, as I said, was sloth-filled. I woke up later than I ever do, thanks to going to bed late last night, and I mostly messed around before getting ready, making some coffee, and abandoning the apartment around 11:45 to drive to the south bay. It turns out I should have left about fifteen minutes earlier than I did because traffic was not particularly good (it was raining off and on, and there was a Niners game approximately ten minutes from where I was going), but I made it to Milpitas in time for a Filipino feast to celebrate Joann's birthday.

Joann (of spinster honeymoon fame) made a delicious spread to celebrate her birthday. I've never had a full-blown Filipino feast before, but this one seemed to be the real deal. She had spread banana leaves over the entire table, and then covered the middle of the table with an assortment of foods (rice, noodles, chicken adobo, barbecued chicken, pork, pork belly, whole shrimp, whole fried tilapia, green beans, tomato and salted egg salad, lumpia (so much lumpia), etc., etc.). We ate this extravagant feast the old-fashioned way (with our hands), which meant I basically kept eating until I was stuffed, and then immediately washed my hands so I wouldn't be tempted to go back for more.

Everything was super tasty, and it was fun to go to the south bay (weirdly, I actually mean that). It was also a pseudo-friendship-renewal; there were fifteen people there or so, which included a lot of non-friendship-renewal people, but Jen and Lizzie were there, so I think that counts as quorum. Jen and I sat together and caught up on life while devouring a lot of protein, so it was all delightful.

But sadly, I left earlyish to beat the traffic leaving the game, and I made it home in time to call my parents (later than usual, but early enough that I didn't detect any signs that they were falling asleep on me). Then I answered some emails, did a couple of tings, ate some peanut butter (I couldn't bear to eat more than that, but knew I had to eat something or I would wake up later and be starving and hangry), and then curled up in bed with a novel for the last couple of hours. And now, I shall sleep, hope that the rain tonight lulls me into continued slumber rather than waking me up, and attempt to dream about Rafe and Octavia so that those bitches can stop thwarting me. Goodnight!

No comments: