Tuesday, November 03, 2015

no time to quit now, just time to get it now

Today was decent from a general productivity/balance standpoint, although I'm a little worried that I might be getting a cold, so I'm going to go to bed early (like everyone else in the undisclosed location in which I'm staying...more on that in a moment). I woke up this morning, packed up my stuff, ate some eggs, and then went down the street to vote. It was a v. stereotypical San Francisco experience, since some dude was shooting up outside the polling place (drugs, not guns, for those of you who aren't hip with the lingo), but I successfully completed my civic duty and escaped without stepping on any needles, so this was all good.

Then I drove to Palo Alto, where I worked out at Equinox (after seeing an accident that looked pretty horrific on Page Mill; there was no body, but I guessed someone died since I saw a mangled bicycle and a car with the windshield smashed out, and that guess was confirmed when I looked it up online later and saw that a motorist killed the bicyclist) - I probably should have gone straight to the undisclosed location, but I'm trying to get back into working out twice a week sans Alyssa, so I needed to make it happen today if I am going to meet the goal this week. I swung some kettlebells and talked to one of the old trainers whom I knew there (who was also impressed by my kettlebell skillz, so again, Alyssa must have trained me better than I realized), and then I showered and made myself look presentable again. Then I grabbed my favorite salad at Joanie's and my favorite coffee at Philz, and was thus fortified for the rest of the drive.

By now you can probably guess that I went south, and so I'll just tell you the rest - I'm in Carmel. Tonight turned out to be more of a business-type retreat than a writing-type retreat - when I got here, I took a nap, and then I went to a restaurant down the street, where I ate some gluten free pasta, drank a glass of wine and a pot of tea, and lingered over my notebook while writing up plans for world domination. I think part of the block recently has been that I know I don't want to be 'just' a writer - I have grand ambitions (as any of you who know me could probably guess), and I need to figure out how to make progress toward them. That likely involved buckling down and writing as much as possible for a few years first, but I want more of a plan and more rigor in what I'm doing beyond the writing so that I can be as successful as I hope to be.

So, I made a lot of notes and had some good ideas, and I intend to keep mulling over those ideas, but I want to spend tomorrow writing instead. Then I took a walk around the town (it's the same as always - very white, very quiet, very 'quaint' (where quaint = expensive)), and then I came back to my room and popped a lot of vitamins and minerals to stave off this cold. Or maybe it's not a cold - maybe it's an allergic reaction to the fact that my room is basically on top of a Lush store, which means it's on top of a whole bunch of perfumed bath/body products. We shall see, we shall see. Goodnight!

No comments: