Friday, December 18, 2015

it takes something more this time than sweet, sweet lies

Today is the glorious anniversary of the birth of two of my favorite people: my mother (aka Jeannie Baby, aka Mom), and Vidya (aka Chandlord, aka Vidius Chandicus). Happy birthday, ladies! I suspect their birthdays were v. v. different, since my mother's involved having lunch with her garden club and supper with her husband/children at a local restaurant, while Chandlord's undoubtedly involved gay men and piano bars. But hopefully they both enjoyed them!

But you're not here to read about them....you're here to read about the mundanities of my life, right?

So let's get to it. I slept late, but I was upstairs in time to eat the bacon my dad made for me. He seems disappointed that I've been detoxing since getting home rather than attempting to lead him astray into wine-land, so we went through the cabinets and took stock of wine on hand to see what we can drink over the holidays. It turns out that the pickings are somewhat abundant but also somewhat grim - my parents don't drink very much, and there are a few bottles of *extremely* dubious provenance (a gamay beaujolais from Slovenia in 1991 seems particularly questionable). There's some Ukrainian champagne that I have no intention of touching, and we didn't explore the liquors (Ukrainian pepper vodka needs to stay in its bottle and away from my mouth).

But we arranged things in order of 'likely poison', 'drinkable but may not enjoy', 'drinkable', and 'likely enjoyable' (mostly things I've brought/bought), so we have a plan of attack. And I plan to at least drain the 'likely poison' bottles so that we never have to repeat this experiment again. If I never blog after tonight, you'll know the '91 Slovenian wine got me.

sssanyway. After that, I showered, and then caught up with a couple of romance writer friends for an hour, which was delightful and gave me a lot to ponder. Eventually, the four of us left the house and went into town for a moderately early supper in honor of Mom's birthday - the restaurant was completely full, and I ran into more people than I expected (my first-grade teacher, who happened to also be my fourth-grade teacher, was eating with the wife of my high school govt/econ teacher, and [censored] and I talked to them for quite awhile; there were others, but they won't interest you any more than that one did). That's how things roll in a small town - when there's only one restaurant of any consequence, it's bound to turn into a social occasion.

But after supper, we abandoned town, came home, and did *not* watch CBS (shocker, I know). Instead, I made some tea and worked in the kitchen for a couple of hours, which was v. necessary for feeling like I'm making progress on the gargoyles + the romance business (not enough progress, but at least I got something done today).

And now, I'm going to sleep so that I can write + help my mom prep for Christmas + either go to [censored] with [censored] or blatantly ignore his invitation like I did today (time will tell!). Goodnight!

No comments: