Tuesday, December 29, 2015

so tie me to a post and block my ears

Today I sorted through some of the detritus of my childhood, with the overall goal of getting my room sufficiently organized so it's easier to get work done here during the various weeks that I spend in Iowa over the course of most years. Since I usually spend 4-6 weeks here depending on my travel schedule and when I can make it home, that's probably too much time to spend not writing. Also, opening my closet and seeing a trainwreck kind of bums me out.

So I finished cleaning off my bookshelves, and I emptied out a lot of random crap from my closet that can be donated/tossed. I suspect some of it will be rescued from destruction by my family when they see what I'm giving up (there was some muttering from the person I share a wall with about my desire to get rid of my Pioneer seed corn-themed basketball from the 1980s, which is now mostly deflated...and I was never good at basketball anyway, and I already gave a sentimental reprieve to my tee-ball glove even though I sucked at that too). But I did as much organizing as I planned to, and my desk is usable and there's now way more room in my closet for actual clothes when I come home, so I'm happy with my progress.

Of course, I didn't spend all day doing that; I slept in, and I also took an unexpectedly-long lunch break. My mom and I were alone since my dad and [censored] had a variety of things to take care of outside the house, and so we had a long, meandering conversation while I drank iced coffee and chose to talk rather than sift through my closet. And then I did more stuff in my room, took another break for supper, finished throwing stuff away so I could get to my bed again, and then stopped it all to watch the Kennedy Center Honors.

Loyal readers know that the Kennedy Center Honors is one of my favorite television nights of the year. While I felt no real personal connection to any of the honorees this year, I cried during several of their stories, so it lived up to its usual self. I think I really just enjoy watching them be so surprised/emotional about the tributes to them, and to see their work recognized in such a delightful way.

After that, I messed around online, did some romance-related work, and now need to sleep so I can get more stuff done tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: