Wednesday, December 02, 2015

you've dreamed a thousand dreams, none seem to stick in your mind

I am holed up in Kathia's guest room after a long, (mostly) lovely day that has done so many good things for my heart and soul. I wasn't too sure how I would feel about today when I woke up; really, it felt like I never actually slept, since I had too much wine and not nearly enough water, and it was hot in Terry's apartment (through no fault of hers), and the time difference wasn't my friend, and my monkey mind and endlessly racing thoughts haven't been my friend for awhile (and were worse than usual last night, probably because I kept dozing off and getting just enough sleep to fuel them again during my waking moments).

So I dozed off and on throughout the night, and was supposed to wake up and have breakfast with Terry, but when breakfast time came I felt like death and didn't feel like eating. Luckily, Terry didn't seem to want breakfast either, so she went to work and I lazed about for another couple of hours. But eventually I pulled myself together, packed my stuff, went down the street to grab a quick lunch, and then dashed to Grand Central to catch a train (and just barely made it - if I'd missed it I would have only had to wait thirty minutes, but I'm glad I caught it).

After an hour of sitting on the train and distracting myself with the wonders of my smartphone, I arrived in Kathia's town. She lives in a super cute area outside New York City, and she picked me up and took me promptly to a coffee shop, where we renewed our friendship over lattes and a couple of glorious hours of conversation. Then she brought me back to her house and gave me the full tour - it's so gorgeous here, and the serenity is v. v. welcome after the bustle of cities and airports and stress and drama that I've had the last few weeks (months, years).

So we sat around here and talked some more, and then we went out for an earlyish dinner at a delish restaurant (the burger went a long way toward restoring me back to health, despite my lack of sleep), and then we walked around the town before having a glass of wine at a wine bar. And then we came back, and by mutual agreement went to our own rooms at nine - I'm exhausted, and Kathia tends to get up early, so we're relaxing in anticipation of more fun times (and hopefully writing times) tomorrow.

Anyway, it's really lovely here, and I'm enjoying my Kathia-time after too long of an absence - so I'm going to go to bed and hopefully sleep the sleep of the dead so that I can enjoy more of it tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: