Tuesday, January 05, 2016

all my limbs can become trees

Today was my last full day in Iowa - and suddenly, like that, my vacation is over. I'm glad I stayed another week, though...it was long enough to fully relax, and also long enough that I'm vaguely looking forward to going home (or at least to seeing friends again - I've been making plans like mad, and am suddenly overscheduled for the next couple of weeks, which is v. v. different from my hermitville here).

But today was a lovely last day in the midwest (and I hope it's the last day, if only because I hope I don't get stranded anywhere tomorrow due to the rains in SF). I spent the morning taking care of some tings online, and then I spent the afternoon catching up with Lorena. She's one of my favorite former neighbors/teachers, and I hadn't seen her in ages - so I went over for tea, and we ended up talking for three hours. We talked about creativity, and writing, and history, and a wide variety of other subjects, and it was delightful to spend some quality time with her after missing her on several previous trips home.

But by 5pm I needed to come home and hang out with my parents, so I did. My mom made cheeseburgers and fried potatoes for supper (dinner of midwest champions), and then we watched some fine CBS programming (Scorpion and NCIS:LA, both of which I really like). And then, I was going to pack and go to bed...but instead, we turned on the 'end' of the Kansas/Oklahoma game, which turned out to not be the end because it went to triple overtime, so I watched for almost an hour. It was a great game, and so sad that Oklahoma lost - I think they could have won it if they hadn't had to play Iowa State two nights ago and then travel to Kansas.

It was worth watching, but the downside was that I had to pack everything up, which means I'm now going to get much less sleep than I am accustomed to getting. I know, my life is hard. Goodnight!

No comments: