Friday, January 01, 2016

are we out of the woods yet

I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night, and I had more wine than I intended to have, which meant that today was something close to a lost cause. However, I did wake up in time to have breakfast with the family - my mom made breakfast casserole, which was delicious, and I enjoyed it even though I didn't open the bottle of champagne I'd intended to enjoy today (see: too tired, too dehydrated).

But despite my lethargy, today went pretty well from a sporting event standpoint. I watched the Rose Bowl this afternoon, and was perhaps the only person in Iowa wearing red and cheering resolutely for Stanford - but even my cold, dead heart felt the slightest bit of sympathy/pity for the Iowa team. I've never been a Hawkeye fan, so my loyalties weren't divided here - but I'd spent the last week seeing coverage on the local news about the Rose Bowl and all the Iowa fans who were in Pasadena for the game, and there were a bunch of people from my hometown there, and so I'm a little sad for them that their trip was destined to end on a rather bitter note.

But my pity was fairly small, and my schadenfreude was fairly large, so I enjoyed the game...and I hope that Stanford's football dominance continues next year. And our mastery today made Northwestern's drubbing by Tennessee even more delightful, for so many reasons. So today might have been perfect from a sports standpoint if Oklahoma State ([censored]'s grad school alma mater + former employer) had done better in the Sugar Bowl - but you can't win 'em all.

So that's the sports update. The rest of the evening consisted of supper (bratwurst, since you must eat pork on New Year's Day), more football, more mindless internet usage (I was too tired for much productivity), and some journalling to ring in the new year.

And now, I shall bid you goodnight - I want to get ten hours of sleep and hope that I wake up restored and ready to do good things (or at least more things). Goodnight!

No comments: