Thursday, January 14, 2016

i keep on hoping we'll eat cake by the ocean

I was highly productive for most of the day, but then I had to drive to the east bay and it all went sideways...but I had fun while I was there, so I suppose I can forgive the absolute torture that was the drive...

But first, my day. It certainly started better than Alan Rickman's (too soon?), although I slept badly and had nightmares this morning for the first time in awhile. But I rallied and spent the morning working on a side project I've got going, while also doing laundry and prepping to leave for Tahoe tomorrow. I basically worked straight through until twoish, when I showered and got dressed and packed up some stuff, and then I thought I could drive to Berkeley and work for a couple more hours before my dinner plans.

And that was a good plan...except it took an hour and a half to drive to Berkeley, including forty-five fucking minutes to get to the base of the Bay Bridge from my apartment (a grand distance of three miles). I almost could have walked there in that amount of time. Granted, it was raining, which always makes traffic worse, but this was truly horrendous. So by the time I got to Berkeley, I only had an hour to work, but I was diligent and got through a bunch of stuff while drinking Philz (which was comped by a v. friendly cashier).

Then, I braved traffic again to meet John and Jess for dinner at Townhouse in Emeryville. I hadn't been to Townhouse in several years, but I had been wanting to go back, and John and Jess and I had made this plan a couple of weeks ago (before I had gone up for our impromptu Calistoga adventure last week). So we talked about work and life and raccoons and human feces, and it was all the usual good clean fun.

And then I drove home, and while it took far less time to get home than it took to get there, I'm totally wiped out and considering the bad move of going to bed super early and thinking I'll get everything done that I need to get done before leaving tomorrow morning (probably a foolish and unwise decision, but it might be the one I made). Goodnight!

2 comments:

Jenlui said...

It took me 30min to get from work to AT&T park yesterday (1.3 miles, or a distance I could have walked in half the time it took me to drive), so I totally feel your pain :( Damn you, SF/Bay Area traffic!

Sara said...

@jenlui: it could be worse - a friend had to drive from Sunnyvale to Sonoma last night and it took FOUR HOURS. Let's all move to a commune in Iowa!