Monday, January 18, 2016

i know this road, goes back to the start

It was three years ago right now that I went back to the day job - I remembered, just now, that I started there the of MLK Day. That's the only observation, though...it feels like yesterday, and like a lifetime ago, and I have no feelings at the moment other than a bit of wistful nostalgia for how I must have felt on that weekend three years ago, and how I must have thought that I'd found exactly the right job at exactly the right time (which was true, although it didn't end up staying that way).

sssanyway. Today had nothing to do with that, and wasn't melancholy at all, so it's funny that I ended up in melancholia when the rest of the day was great. I spent almost all of it working downstairs with Barbara and Bella, which was all rather intense - I'm making great progress, etc., but that comes at the expense of all the energy necessary to keep my brain firing on all cylinders when I'm used to taking a lot more naps.

But we broke at five, and I talked to my parents for awhile, since I couldn't let Sunday go by without catching up with them. Then, I hung out and took a break, and then we all met Veronica (another writer) and her husband and son for dinner at Riva Grill. Riva is the common location for our end-of-retreat fancy dinners (or, at least, we've gone there on the last two retreats I've been on), and while the retreat isn't over, the dinner was v. welcome. I had scallops with dungeness crab risotto and two glasses of excellent pinot noir, and it was all totally delightful.

Then we came back to the house, and Bella tried to pry secrets out of me (but failed) and told me the only story she knows about Adit (he someone, mysteriously, found our friend Anne's book at Goodwill many years ago, and found that it had been signed by Anne to give to Bella, who had somehow donated it, and of course Adit told Anne immediately because that's the kind of friend he is....so I have now found someone who hates Adit for the most tangential and bizarre of reasons, which feels like a win!). And now I need to sleep so that I can attempt to rest my brain in time for tomorrow's workathon - goodnight!

No comments: