Friday, January 29, 2016

my hips don't lie

I'm totally full, totally out of words, and mostly delighted (with a little bit of malaise, because hey, you wouldn't know what to do with me if I didn't have a tinge of cynical bitterness, right?). When I woke up this morning, I ignored everything that I had realized over the last few days and decided to try to write in the morning - which resulted in sitting on the couch in yoga pants, procrastinating and falling into fear spirals and monkey mind. But if that's the first time this week that it happened, I'll take it.

However, I pulled myself out, got some administrative work done, ate some lunch, and then drove to the Mission - my mission was to get my bangs trimmed, which means I can now see again (even if I prefer it when I look like a bitchy supermodel...but I'm hoping I timed it so that I get back to that stage while I'm in Hawaii rather than holed up in my apartment). Then, I adjourned to Ritual, where I wrote for an hour while drinking a latte - the writing went pretty well, actually, and the latte (the first real one I've had in ages, since I've mostly been drinking iced coffees at home) was delish.

Then I came home, intended to write some more here, and totally failed again. But I didn't have all that long to work - I had dinner plans at six p.m. at Rich Table with the original Jen Lui. We've decided to have the occasional super fancy dinner, and this one lived up to expectations (at least, to the expectations of fanciness).

We ended up doing the chef's menu, which was a seven-course tasting with everything selected by the chef. They were surprisingly accommodating of my gluten issues (I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since most of SF is, but I was assuming that I wouldn't be able to do the tasting menu, and they wowed me). And I've got to say, the first course was incredible - it was a selection of bites from their appetizers/first courses, and it was all delicious. Even the salad was perfect, and I don't usually rave about salad. But we each got an oyster, and a potato chip with a sardine on it (which was somehow great, even though when I typed it I instinctively wanted to throw up), and a bunch of other deliciousness that I can't name now.

The rest of the courses were just the slightest bit hit or miss for me - most of them were hits, and I really liked the gluten free pasta (after I got over how many seeds were on top), and the petrale sole was delicious. There were a couple of bites that were slightly too odd for me (the panna cotta with chili and other spices during the first course wasn't my favorite, and I think the only thing I really didn't like was the combo of black garlic sauce with the ribeye, which my Iowa heart thought was a waste of a good steak), but the dessert (coconut tapioca, espresso-flavored mousse, and yuzu ice) made up for it.

And, of course, the conversation was great - we covered a wide variety of topics, including the prequel to the Babysitters Club series that Jen had loaned me awhile ago, as well as work, the city, adventures in growing older, etc., etc. Hopefully we'll keep up this tradition of having the occasional fancy meal, since it's definitely fun to try new places (even though I like the old places, as you all know).

After that, I walked Jen most of the way to the BART, and then I walked myself home (but it was still early enough that I didn't see anyone particularly crazy or dangerous). Then I procrastinated on my phone and did nothing until I realized that I needed to crawl into bed immediately - I have high hopes of getting some writing done in the morning (because I apparently didn't learn my lesson this morning, but I'm going to try going to a cafe when I get up and see what happens - it used to work for me, and maybe it will work again). Goodnight!

No comments: