Tuesday, January 12, 2016

my mama don't like you and she likes everyone

(sidenote: my mama likes no one, so in this case, the title lyric has limited validity)

I was quite productive today, despite making a second trip to the south bay in two days and continuing to overdose on social activities. This morning was mostly consumed with tax stuff - I needed to get information to my CPA for making a January estimate, and that required digging through a bunch of stuff since I've been behind on my bookkeeping. But I got it off to her, and then I went to Samovar, where I ate some tasty toast with poached eggs and bacon. I also drank chai and wrote for an hour - my attempt to reconfigure Rafe and Octavia's story might actually work this time, but I don't want to jinx it.

Then I went to my salon, where I got my eyebrows waxed and tinted so I don't look like my granddad, and where I also got a facial since my skin was feeling wrecked after six weeks of travel - Denver did no favors to my hydration levels, and NYC/Healdsburg/the last week of socializing did no favors to my detoxing. Both of these services were accomplished with Amanda, whom I adore, and we had a lot to catch up on (she gave me a rundown of east bay neighborhoods, since she has lived there forever, and even gave me her phone number in case I want more info - but at the moment I'm thinking I need to hunker down and write for a few months and not think about blowing up my life quite so dramatically).

Then I drove to the glorious south bay, which I really didn't want to do, since I have so much work and so many social things on my calendar (this is a problem of my own making, I know). But I showered there, since I hadn't showered this morning, and then I went to Philz to work some more. But I was only at Philz for half an hour before Joann asked if I wanted to meet for dinner early, since she was starving and wanted to get out of her office. So I met her at Pacific Catch, which is where we were meeting the four other people for dinner, and we ordered a bottle of wine (it was half off all bottles tonight), and we waited, and caught up, and waited some more...

...and twenty minutes after the appointed meeting time, we were still the only people there. It's a sign of how bad traffic is in the bay area that we just thought this was normal, rather than wondering what had happened. But as it turns out, the restaurant had seated three of the other people at a different table on the other side of the restaurant, and so we'd all been waiting (and they ordered the same bottle of wine that we did).

Luckily, we figured it out, and then we caught up on all sorts of things. It was our semi-regular friendship renewal dinner (people who started at my old employer in 2003, which is a lifetime ago), and we hadn't had one in ages, so it was good to see everyone. Of course, I'd seen Joann and Jen more recently, and I see Jen the most now that she's working in SF, but it was lovely to see Tolu, Jane, and Lizzie. And they are all v. v. eager for me to write my spinster honeymoon book instead of a historical romance - so at least if Rafe and Octavia fuck me over again, I have a backup.

Eventually we all parted ways, and I drove back to the city of sin, and now I'm too tired to work - so I'm going to sleep and hope to hit it hard tomorrow, when I have no plans until 6pm (it's a new record!). Goodnight!

No comments: