Saturday, January 30, 2016

when you see my face, i hope it gives you hell

I was productive again today...it begins to feel like saying that may no longer be noteworthy, but I'm going to keep saying it for awhile and hope that this becomes less of a surprising streak and more of a state of being. Not that I was *perfectly* productive - I still laid in bed until nine and contemplated life and all its mysteries. But maybe that's what I'm supposed to do as a crazy artist. But then, I'm not actually all that crazy, just eccentric.

sssanyway, let's start over. I got up around nine, freshened up a bit, and went to Philz on Golden Gate, which is more crowded but has a more open, inviting(ish) space. I wrote five pages while I was there, which I will totally take (although the slavedriver within me is asking why I didn't eke out ten). Then, sensing a break in the rain, I made a dash for home - it wasn't actually a break, as it turns out, but I had a scarf that I turned into a makeshift hood, so I survived.

When I got home, I ate some leftover pizza and spent the afternoon working on my couch, which was probably bad for my back (yes, I am still an octogenarian). I had a bunch of random stuff to get through, and I did most of it, so I was pleased with that (even if I probably should have put it all off and kept writing instead). Eventually, though, as the sun was about to set I realized that I should probably shower and put on real people clothes, so I took care of that - it's always nice when I spend the day like a Victorian lady, sitting around writing my letters during the day and then getting dolled up to go out at night.

So I successfully got ready, dried my hair (unnecessarily, since I soaked it in the rain moments later), and walked down to the Mission. This was probably a longer walk than I needed in the rain, but the rain was really drizzle, and I felt like walking, and walking probably didn't take that much longer than sitting through whatever standstill traffic I would have found on Van Ness. I had dinner plans with Claudia (aka Santy Claude) at Dosa, which was long overdue - we hadn't seen each other since early in December, before my trip to NYC (okay, we saw each other at a house party right before I left for Iowa, but her labmates were all there and so we didn't say anything of substance to each other). So we caught up on each others' lives over chutneys and dosas and glasses of wine, and it was all lovely.

But eventually we parted ways, and I came home and held to my previous vow not to look at a screen when I got back - instead, I started reading Shonda Rhimes's "Year of Yes", which I had ordered last week (per the goal to look at screens less, I'm trying to read books in print more). She's the writer/showrunner for "Grey's Anatomy", "Scandal", etc., none of which I really watch because I am very apathetic about TV (much to Terry's dismay, who is probably laughing right now over the fact that I'm reading Shonda's memoir). But since I'm sort of in the middle of a year of yes of my own (as evidenced by the fact that I've gone out more this month than I did in the previous three), it's an interesting read. And even if it weren't interesting (which it is), it would be hilarious - she's a great writer above all else, so I'm enjoying that.

But eventually I realized that I needed to sleep immediately if I have any hope of writing my own stories in the morning before commencing the rest of the day, so it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: