Monday, January 18, 2016

who owns my heart? is it love or is it art?

I've completely, totally, unavoidably hit the wall on work - which is probably kind of bizarre for most of you to read, since many of you had a three-day weekend off, while I spent the entire three-day weekend working more than I've worked in at least two months. But a hard and brutal slog was probably a necessary way to burn off the rest of my pre-holiday anger/depression/malaise, and I'm feeling the story again, so this is all a good thing.

But yeah, today was brutal. I slept later than planned because I was wiped out from yesterday's work session, but I was downstairs by ten, and I spent an hour talking to Barbara while making myself an omelette (the first omelette I've ever made, and it turned out perfectly thanks to the lesson John gave me in Calistoga (was that really only ten days ago?)). There is a risk that I'm going to be hired to be her personal chef, since her husband was v. impressed by the looks of my omelette and keeps hinting, very strongly, that he would like for me to make him the soup that I'd made on one of my previous writing retreats. Ha.

Anyway, eventually Bella's husband and kids left to go skiing, and Barbara's husband left to work on stuff at their other rental property, and the three of us started working. We'd intended to work from eleven to three and then stop and relax for the rest of the day, but instead we worked until almost seven. At that point, I was so beyond dead that at some point I just walked away and wandered aimlessly around until I realized that I needed to eat something immediately or die, and so I ate some tortilla chips even though we were leaving for dinner in ten minutes.

Apparently it didn't ruin my appetite...we all went to MacDuff's, which is a Scottish pub a couple of blocks away, and I had the shepherd's pie (beef, onions, carrots, and some deliciously cheesy mashed potatoes on top) and a glass of wine, and I ate the entire shepherd's pie like I'd been starved for a week (which is the consequence of thinking so hard all day - creating things from scratch takes a lot of mental energy, so it's no wonder I'm wrecked).

And then we came home, and unlike during the previous nights I refused to be lured into further conversation - so I came upstairs, hid in my room, and read for the last hour or so. But Tahoe has been super productive, and I'm hoping I can keep the productivity going tomorrow (although Bella is leaving, so Barbara and I have plans to be less slave-driverish with ourselves and possibly go to work at Starbucks for a couple of hours, which would be a nice change).

And now, I need to sleep so I can continue my recovery and enable some productivity tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: