Wednesday, January 27, 2016

you can tell me when it's over if the high was worth the pain

I somehow managed to forget until just now that I was rear-ended earlier today, so either the crash was minor, or this evening's wine-and-book trick did its job. It's probably a combination of both - the rear-ending happened on Van Ness, when I was stopped at a light, and the guy just kind of tapped me. The damage looked worse for him than it did for me - his car is lower than mine, so he slid up under the spare tire on my rear door and scraped his hood, while I just ended up with some scratches. So we exchanged information and were done in less than ten minutes, and I kind of doubt I'll do anything about it, but I need to wash it tomorrow and see if the damage is more noticeable when the post-Tahoe grime is gone.

So, that kind of shook me up despite it being minor, and it gave a weird tinge to my afternoon since I kept feeling the crash after (this is, apparently, a thing, since I had the same aftershocks when I was hit in October - I'm not liking the driving at the moment, since I'd gone 17+ years without any accidents and have had two in three months). But before the crash, I'd had a good morning - I got a lot of business-related stuff done, including prepping 1099s to send to the vendors who I paid more than $600 to last year, so that was all excellent.

I also spent some quality time prepping for my Hawaii conference - I leave in nine days, and while I'm mostly excited at the moment about sun and sea and mai tais and friends, I also need to remember that there is quite a bit of work to accomplish there, and that I need to prep for it. So I put the schedule into my calendar and my planner, and noted the 1:1 meetings that I need to prep for (I have eight appointments with the various retailers and book services who will be there, and while they are varying degrees of importance, they're all ultimately important and I don't want to look like an idiot despite not having put out a book in over a year). And now that I'm a little more organized, I'm not too worried about getting prepared, but I need to do some more work in the next week before I feel solid about it.

Then I made myself an excellent omelette, and then I showered and ran out the door for my writing date in San Mateo (to which I was ten minutes late, because see above). Anne was there, but Barbara wasn't yet, and so Anne and I talked until Barbara arrived, and then the three of us talked, so I basically wasted the first forty-five minutes (and by 'wasted' I mean 'enjoyed myself'). But then I wrote a surprising new scene for Rafe and Thorington (they are brothers, after all, and at the same party, so they should interact), and I'm loving what I have so far - like, actually loving it, in a way I haven't loved anything I've written in so long. So, yay.

But while I should have kept going with it, I was more concerned about beating traffic home, so I left at 4:15ish. Traffic was still brutal, but I didn't get rear-ended even though the girl behind me on the last critical mile into the city was taking selfies the entire time, so I feel #blessed. When I got home, I debated being good and cooking - but I was feeling slightly fragile, so I ordered a pizza, worked until it arrived, and then opened a bottle of wine and read 'The Baby-Sitters Club: The Summer Before'. Jen Lui loaned it to me a couple of months ago, and since I'm seeing her tomorrow night, it seemed like tonight was the right time to read it. It's a prequel to the BSC series, and while it's perhaps a little bit below my reading level, it was still fun to read.

I was thinking after that I don't really remember how I felt when I was turning twelve, as the girls were in this book....but then I realized that that was the summer that we moved to Ukraine, which is, by definition, so fucking weird compared to the usual twelve-year-old experience. So I do remember having crushes on older boys, but my crush went on to be in the Ukrainian parliament. And I remember fighting with my parents about what to wear (I had a real thing for wearing a long turtleneck belted over leggings, which at the time seemed weird, and now is exactly what I would wear again, although maybe a regular sweater instead of a turtleneck). But there no other kids around, except for [censored], and nowhere to go, and anyway, I was kind of glad to be trapped in an apartment eating radioactive homemade bread and homeschooling myself for a year rather than dealing with the assholes in seventh grade. So it all worked out, I guess.

And now, I think I shall sleep - I'm liking my strategy of doing business stuff in the morning and writing in the afternoons, and I want to continue that trend tomorrow, but that means getting some sleep (and hoping the rear-ending didn't cause any whiplash). Goodnight!

No comments: