Thursday, January 21, 2016

you go, i'll stay, you can keep all the memories

I'm back in my apartment in the evil city, and I'm actually happy to be here - perhaps the equivalent of two months away from it in the past quarter or so has made me love it again. But then, I haven't actually been outside in the city yet, and they're about to shut down a bunch of streets to prep for the Super Bowl, and it's supposed to rain all weekend....so we'll see how long my joie de vivre lasts.

But today was great, and I wasn't totally ready to leave Tahoe even though another day probably would have resulted in cracked and bleeding hands (I am a princess and do not handle altitude well). I slept in a bit, and then I spent the late morning/early afternoon working and writing with Barbara. I really like her a lot, and she and her husband are perhaps the nicest couple I know...as evidenced by the fact that I've now spent almost three weeks at her Tahoe house in the nine months, which is certainly welcome (especially since her house is super nice and right on the lake). And hanging out with her is always inspiring and always results in a list of a million things I want to do with my books/publishing career - and maybe this time I'm actually going to follow through on all of them.

But I wanted to get on the road by four so that I could get through the mountains by dark - and I accomplished that goal down to the minute, which was great. The whole drive took less than four hours, which wasn't bad; I would have been home sooner, but I stopped for food and actually sat down to eat it rather than eating in my car, so progress was delayed. But when I got home, I unpacked, put everything away, and made my plans for the rest of the week.

And now, after several days of highly productive engagement in the mountains, I'm going to go to sleep and see if I can replicate that feat in the concrete jungle. Goodnight!

No comments: