Monday, February 08, 2016

i know i got to be right now, cause i can't get much wronger

I had the best day and made the worst decisions, and it all seems to have turned out wonderfully. My cold still abides, and I woke up around four a.m. and daydreamed/nightmared until I finally got out of bed at sevenish to face the day. But I cleaned myself up, put on a swimsuit, grabbed some tea and yogurt from Starbucks, and then called my parents unusually early (eight a.m. in Hawaii = ten in California and noon in Iowa) - this was the best time for quiet, uninterrupted catching up, so I heard all about their lives and told them a little about Hawaii (which is basically nothing, since I've had no meetings these last couple of days and have just lazed about).

Then I met Barbara and Christie down on the beach, and they had very helpfully grabbed a chair for me, so we laid out allllll day. We got there at nine, and I left at four, and in between I only took a break to grab a to-go salad (and then a coke) from a nearby deli. Miraculously, thanks to the sunscreen routine I perfected in Bora Bora, I only burned a bit of my elbows and a small strip of my back where my swimsuit top rode down...and I'll totally take that. Lying in the sun did great things for my soul (and probably my skin, and hopefully my cold), and the weather was as perfect as it could have been. Christie, Barbara and I also brainstormed each others' books, gossiped, and laid about (they both went to University of California at Santa Barbara, so they are far more proficient at tanning than I am). And I read several chapters of THE STORY OF A NEW NAME (the second Neapolitan novel; I read the first a couple of weeks ago), and gossiped with Christie about the advanced unpublished copy she was reading from an author whom I used to adore and whose books have lately sucked (and will likely continue to suck).

sssanyway. Needless to say, we totally ignored the Super Bowl, which I'm fine with. Eventually, Bella showed up (and promptly went to her room), and then Anne and Poppy joined us, and it was all v. merry. But I took a couple of hours off to shower and change and have some non-group time. And then we went to Barbara and Christie's suite to have snacks and drinks before dinner.

This turned into kind of a shitshow - we went to Roy's, which had amazingly delicious sushi, and so I spent $100 on sushi...but by that I mean i spent $50 on sushi and $50 on martinis, which explains why it was a shitshow. Anne, Christie and I sat together in what we immediately dubbed 'martini corner', and while everyone else stayed relatively sober, we got merrily wasted. I suspect Christie (who was way more wasted than us) will be v. v. surprised in the morning when she sees, again, that Anne and I turned a selfie of ourselves into her phone wallpaper. But I think that all this lubricant may have made me extra charming to Nalini, a v. famous paranormal author who joined us....or I burned a bridge with her but she was too charming to say so. I knew everyone else (six of the eight people I went to Montauk with, plus Barbara's daughter and Tina's husband), and they all know how the denizens of Martini Corner roll, so it was all super fun.

But it was perhaps ill-advised when I'm still recovering from my cold, so I'm going to go to bed immediately. I theoretically have a panel at 8:30, but my first real commitment is at 10, so we'll see how things are feeling in the morning (I'm predicting minor spinning + surliness, but nothing to destroy me). Goodnight!

No comments: