Sunday, February 07, 2016

play secretary, i'm the boss tonight

I had a pretty great day in Hawaii despite being sick, which wrecked all my plans. I was all excited to see the North Shore, etc., but I woke up at 3:30am when my Sudafed wore off, and I didn't really sleep much after that. Instead, I dosed and daydreamed until seven, when I finally got out of bed and faced the reality that I shouldn't go play if I have any hope of getting better, rather than worse, before the conference. And since the conference is what I'm here for, and since I have meetings Tuesday and Wednesday that I would like to be mostly coherent for, I took the extremely unusual tactic of playing it safe and staying in rather than being lured into sightseeing.

But I still showered, got dressed, and met up with my friends at 8:30 to say goodbye to them before I went off to one of the restaurants to have breakfast. I ate and worked there for a couple of hours - I wasn't feeling well enough to go out, but since most of my daydreams consisted of career stuff, I felt like getting some shit done. Then I adjourned to Starbucks, where I paid the criminally high hotel-Starbucks prices for a tea to soothe my cold, and I continued to work for awhile.

By noonish, I was suddenly, achingly tired, so I took a nap. Then, I went to the bar and ordered nachos (comfort food), but I didn't eat a ton of them because I got a text from my friends saying they were coming back to Honolulu for a late lunch and asking if I wanted to be picked up so I could join them. I said yes to that, mostly because I wanted to get out of the hotel. So we went to Duke's, which we're also going to go to on Thursday night (I made a reservation ages ago - it's the same Duke's that Terry and I went to in Malibu many years ago, and I dream of their mai tais). However, due to my illness, I stuck with water today (that's how you know I'm sick), and I listened to everything I missed (not much - I'm glad I stayed in and rested, particularly since it was overcast and misting most of the day, which means I didn't miss beach time either).

Then we came back to the hotel, and I rested/worked on my balcony until sunset. Eventually, I went to Barbara and Christie's suite (Barbara is giving a speech, so they gave her a fancy room), and we sat around and talked for three hours, as we usually do. I did succumb to temptation and have some white wine, since Christine was drinking it and I usually need it if we're going to gossip about publishing (my favorite!). But all in all it was a lowkey night, and I think that was a good thing.

So, sorry you didn't get to hear any tales of wild adventures in Hawaii today - but I'm hoping tomorrow will be a beach day, followed by a late-ish dinner at a fancy sushi place after more people arrive in the afternoon. And I'm really hoping I'm feeling better, since Christie and I are going to brainstorm each other's books (she's starting a new one, and I'm slowly coming up with a plot for SPINSTER HONEYMOON), and while I come up with some of my best ideas while I'm hallucinating, I don't always remember them. So to that end, I'm going to go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: