Monday, February 15, 2016

you can take back your memories, they're no good to me

You may have guessed, based on when I went to bed last night + the fact that I somehow ended up at Grubstake six hours after getting off of a trans-pacific flight, that today was going to be brutal for me - and if you guessed that, you guessed correctly. I couldn't really sleep in because it was too bright in my apartment by eight a.m., but I also couldn't really get anything done because I was too tired and too dehydrated after last night's adventures.

So, today was a bit of a wash - I had intended to hit it hard, but instead I mostly wanted to nap and cry (okay, maybe I am being melodramatic - but no sleep + the sudden adrenaline crash after a highly successful conference made me kind of cranky). However, it wasn't all bad - I got groceries, and I also did all my laundry, so it's possible that I will be able to feed and clothe myself for another few days. And I did a little bit of work, but mostly I napped.

But I had to rally and shower and get out of the apartment - I had dinner and drinks with someone who used to report to me, although I will not divulge names because I'm not sure that s/he wants it to be known that s/he still sees me. And I'm not sure that I want it to be known that I still see anyone at work either, outside of my occasional lunches, since I've been trying my best to distance myself from the shenanigans there and so have mostly avoided either extending or accepting invitations to do things (with some notable one-offs).

Still, it was good to see him/her - we went to Nectar for a drink, and then went to Aix for dinner, and it was all v. entertaining. Either s/he is attempting to suck up to me for reasons that make no sense since I have no sway/influence anymore, or it's true that I am still missed after nine months away - so I'll choose to believe the latter, since it's way nicer to believe that I was a rockstar (I was, after all) and so v. difficult to replace (I am, after all). Also, I'm v. modest.

So, it was all a v. lovely way to spend a couple of hours. Then we parted ways, and I came home, and I need to go to bed so that I can make up for some of my lost sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: