Monday, March 14, 2016

baby boy, tell me i'm all you need

The time change did me no favors - I found it difficult to get out of bed, which was unfortunate since I had morning plans in the east bay. I met John and Jess at 9:30 for breakfast (don't call it brunch or Jess will stab you) at Saul's Deli, which is an excellent reason to go to Berkeley (okay, John and Jess are excellent reasons as well, but Saul's makes an excellent corned beef hash). I hadn't seen them since before my trip to Hawaii, so we had a lot to catch up on, although I probably didn't tell them everything since most of my February was lost in a haze of wine and laughter.

But I'm glad I got to see them today, even though John had just pulled an all-nighter and so it felt a little bit like a more upscale version of many of our breakfasts in college. Their baby is due in six weeks, and we discussed whether Adit's baby will make life difficult for him in "family time: the next generation" for several years/decades by claiming to be cooler than John and Jess's baby, or whether the sins of the current generation will stop with the next one. The jury is out, but I look forward to seeing whether these kids will someday become friends - check back in a couple of decades and I'll give you the full report.

sssanyway. After breakfast, we ran a quick errand at the bookstore down the street, and then we parted ways and I drove home in the rain. When I got here, I was feeling brutally tired - I probably would have been better served by mainlining coffee, but I took a nap instead. However, since there was a bowl on my couch to catch water, I crawled into bed for my nap, which was a mistake since I slept for over an hour and so was groggy when I woke up. Oops.

Then I messed around the apartment, and then I booked a hotel for a solo writing retreat later this week - I'm starting to panic (well, the appropriate word would be 'continuing to panic') over my deadline, and I always seem to do well when I go away. There's still a chance I'll cancel it, but the current plan is to see my CPA on Wednesday and then run away to an undisclosed location until Sunday. We shall see, we shall see.

Then I called my parents and caught up for an hour, and it seemed like things were good with them, so that was great to hear (particularly since I'm going to see them in a week and a half, and it's way more fun when we're not all depressed or sick). And then I ate supper (leftover soup that I realized was five days old, so hopefully it doesn't poison me), and then I procrastinated for a bit, and then I worked for a couple of hours, so at least it ended on a high-ish note.

But now it's suddenly 11pm and I need to sleep if I'm going to get up and write before my day of south bay ridiculousness commences - goodnight!

No comments: