Thursday, March 10, 2016

but i won't be just another mistress

As expected, today got off to a late start since I didn't go to bed until 2:30am last night - sometime around seven I woke up and put my eyemask on, which helped to blot out the unwelcome daylight streaming through my skylights, but I really just dozed fitfully after that. I finally got out of bed around ten, and I stumbled around and cursed my poor decisions (which were entirely bedtime-related - last night was fun and I moderated my consumption enough to avoid a hangover, but going to bed after two is not a recipe for morning success). But I made some iced coffee and did three hours of work at my dining table, so I wasn't totally worthless.

Then I took a quick shower and a very very slow drive to the south bay - it was raining all day today, which made for a miserable drive to San Mateo even at the offest of off times. In other words, it was less than 20mph most of the way, so it took an hour to get there. Blergh. But I met up with Anne and Poppy at Philz - we usually go to Starbucks, but Barbara was out of commission today and so I lured Anne and Poppy into hipsterville instead. We were super lucky to get a table for just us, and I like Philz coffee way better than Starbucks, but we all agreed that Barbara would never want to go there, and since Anne only drinks tea it's probably not the best location since tea is $4+ per cup (and she drinks two cups), while Starbucks is $2.75 per cup with free refills.

But I enjoyed Philz while I had the opportunity to be there, and I got some decent writing in, so I'll take it. We also had fun talking about back cover blurbs (I told Anne that the one she was working on was definitely on the right track for selling it, while Poppy trashed it instead (which matched Anne's husband's opinion, which is why Anne didn't want to show it to Poppy at first - but Anne wants to sell books, and for selling books, it's better to write something with a lot of buzzwords + excitement rather than trying to say anything specific or even relevant to the plot (yes, I'm a cynic now))). And I was glad I went, despite the traffic.

Luckily, I didn't have to brave it back to SF during rush hour - instead, I met up with Shedletsky and Tina for dinner at a restaurant across the street. We talked a lot about spinsters and wizards and jihad and television and trips to a variety of cities, and it was as delightful as it usually is. But after 2+ hours, I realized I needed to go home if I wanted to go to bed tonight at a reasonable hour so I can reset myself for tomorrow. And that's exactly what I am going to do now - if I go to bed at eleven, I have high hopes that I can get out of bed by seven (okay, maybe eight). Goodnight!

No comments: