Sunday, March 06, 2016

give your heart a break

Apparently the thing I do now is come home from a night out and immediately fall asleep on the couch so that I can take a nap before blogging. I can't wait to see how blogging goes when I'm fifty! Which begs the question, of course, of whether blogging will still exist, and what form this will take...but I've been going with this since 2004, so hopefully I'll find some method somewhere (unless the machines have won by then).

Also apparently, the nap didn't help to make me any more coherent or cool, so I'll keep this brief. I spent the day working (or pretending to work) - the rain maybe should have helped, but I'm no longer used to going two days in a row without seeing friends, and while the manicurist I saw yesterday is super friendly, I don't think she counts as a friend yet. So I was going a bit stir crazy, even though I did a quick hangout with Terry around noon to catch up on life, since we hadn't talked in ages.

But I got myself less stir crazy - at 5:30 I was going to work in a cafe for an hour before my dinner plans, so I got in a lyft (I normally would have walked, but I walked that far in the rain two weeks ago and it was totally miserable, so I didn't want to repeat it) and went to the Castro. I had texted Adit to see if he wanted to work with me, but he texted back as I was on the way and said he was home alone with the infant, so I went over there to say hi. It was good to see him alone for a few minutes - we had caught up at Misha's birthday party in January, which was legit, but that was ages ago and also it's hard to have a conversation in the middle of a party (although we made it happen).

So we talked about life and work and babies and families, etc. And then Priyanka and her parents got home from running their errands, so I talked to them as well. Vihaan woke up at some point, so I held him for a little bit and tried not to let his infant scent distract my ovaries, since I need to write a book more than I need to let some dude put a baby in me. But he was super cute, and Priyanka seems to be adjusting to going back to work, and Adit was his usual delightful self, so it was a  nice hour of family time.

Then I walked down the hill to rendezvous with Claudia for dinner - I had missed her birthday party last week because of my stupid conference, so I took her out to celebrate privately. We went to Beso, which is a tapas place on 18th, and it was delicious - we split a bottle of a petite verdot/cab franc blend that was quite good, and we also split bacon wrapped dates, brussels sprouts with chorizo, octopus (like, a single tentacle, lol), and the seafood paella. It was all really tasty, although ordering paella for two meant we had to limit the rest of our options - but I was in the mood for rice, so whatever. We also caught up on life and work and boys and families, so it was almost like talking to Adit, only for longer and with less talk of raising infants.

But after 2.5hrs I needed to go home, so I got a lyft and came here, where I promptly fell asleep on the couch. And now I'm going to go to bed for real and get up tomorrow ready to embrace the day and the writing - goodnight!

No comments: